Elizabeth Warren to release universal child care plan paid by 'wealth tax'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/poli...nD0j4uXjaIHstbxsvGC9FnfJ8P3wb2IF_uRYPasMI4vbQ
    she loves to tax people.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I always have mix feelings about social programs like this. While programs like this may be good intentioned, there are always drawbacks, many of which are not easily fixed.

Not only are they really hard to roll back if there are problems, but they encourage behavior that is counterproductive for society. For example, having an additional baby just for the benefits. Sounds crazy, but it already happens...

I also wonder what the impact this type of program will have on child care costs.... I doubt the costs will drop as most subsidized programs cause an increase in costs, unless the childcare costs are regulated by the government. If this happens, I am sure that the quality of the care will drop.

4. rayriceroni00 Suspended

rayriceroni00

5. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

So now those who did not (or can’t) have children will be coerced by the government to pay for those who did (and can’t afford to pay for their deeds).

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I didn't have a car until recently, so I should get my tax money back for all those roads that was built in the mean time. Also, I don't use airplanes, so subcidies to airports should also be returned to me. And I don't drink much water, so I need my tax money back for water drills. I also need my money back that went to pay for old people, because I am not old yet. My country also engaged in a couple of US-started wars that I don't want to be part of, so I need my tax back for that. I don't use museums often, so I want that tax back too. I am also not religious, so all that money that goes to various religions also need to be payed back to me. Oh and we have a queen, but I don't support monarchy, so that's also some money I need back. And likely also a thousand other things.

It's darn good I am not part of a society! I am going to be so rich!

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Here we go. Another confiscate money from people and hand it to big govt program being proposed by the spendocrats. Do they EVER come up with something to reduce the size of govt? Nah, that takes their power away. Sorry, not interested in funding other people’s child care. How about people have kids they can support and afford? Or use a condom. There, that was easy.

Next topic.

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

That’s the way it works for the public elementary and grade schools. And that’s the way it works for most everything else.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think this is going to resonate with people more than this board thinks.

10. rayriceroni00 Suspended

rayriceroni00

About 50% of the country fully supports programs if it means taxing other people, so you're probably right.

11. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I think most people without kids don't realize how expensive childcare is. My daycare/preschool expenses is more than most state universities and I don't live in a expensive city like New York or San Francisco. I think public K-12 should be extended and start at 12 weeks of age. The reason I choose 12 weeks is because we have horrible maternity/paternity laws that only protects the first 12 weeks of employment. Before the age of 5 is when most of a child brain is developing so education should be just as crucial as Kindergarten or 1st grade. This would also make it easier for more women to go back to work after pregnancy instead of stay home because her paycheck may be equivalent to the cost of daycare (I said women, because it's usually the mom that stays home). In my opinion this would lead to a more educated and employed society which benefits everyone.

Besides this, if politicians took maternity/paternity leave more serious by extending it with pay and employment protection it would also benefit society.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Their scheme is very effective. The promises to spend someone else’s money to dole out all kinds of goodies, and not mentioning their cut of the spoils, is the left’s dirty little secret.

13. rayriceroni00 Suspended

rayriceroni00

Yep same reason so many cities have deep blue governments. Yet, every single year poverty and infrastructure are largely unchanged.

Why do people keep falling for it?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2019 ---
    I'm undecided on forced maternity leave. If forced, it should be no longer than 6 weeks with the option to extend on your own dime and only impact companies over 50 or 100 employees.

Day care is the responsibility of the parent.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am still puzzled - and a bit concerned - on how would the government measure wealth for taxation purposes, considering that to do so they would have to literally take everything under consideration (televisions, cars, paintings, books, DVD's, collectibles etc.).

15. rayriceroni00 Suspended

rayriceroni00

They left would absolutely love to know all of that and more. Just think of the government agencies they could create!

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

17. Solver macrumors 6502a

Hook up a colossal AI computer to all the other computers, cameras, microphones, door locks, etc and they would have a really good idea. They could even use it for national defense. What could go wrong…go wrong…go wrong...

18. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
    Did you sign a contract explicitly stating what you're paying and what you get in return? No? I bet you're going to say next that it is an implicit contract you make with the government. Try that line of thought with a bank next time you want to buy a house. They will require a signed contract because you are an adult and are treated as such.
    You want the State to be your mommy and daddy to take care of you for your own good. The rest of us prefer to be adults.

19. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I'm not saying maternity leave should be forced, but having only 12 weeks of unpaid leave is nothing. Some are lucky to work for companies that will actually pay you during those 12 weeks. Also, it can be argued that school is the parents responsibility, yet we've mandated that we have to send our kids to school. I see no difference with this and daycare. Daycare isn't just babysitting your kid while you're at work. They're teaching and socializing.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Honest question.
    Do you think that forcing maternity leave will end up in "punishing" young women in the workplace (esp. small to mid sized companies) by not being hired?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2019 ---
    Yes and no. Homeschooling is a possibility.

21. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

Please show me where I said that women should be forced to take maternity leave. I don't know how I can make this clearer. The US should extend maternity and paternity leave beyond 12 weeks which isn't even paid. No where in that statement or my priors am I saying it should be forced onto the woman. Woman and Man would still get to decide whether they want to take their entire leave or go back early.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I meant forcing maternity leave on companies (that is, a company can't decide to provide it as a benefit), not the individuals. Otherwise my question wouldn't make much sense.

23. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

Having public daycare doesn't mean you can't send your child to a private daycare or keep them home, same as how schools are now.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Would you make daycare mandatory?