Elon Musk is the true successor to Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Michaelgtrusa, Oct 6, 2014.

1. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

We can't possibly know that for another 30 years. At that point, when we look back and see that he has the same impact Steve had on as many industries and on communication and on art as Steve had, perhaps.

:)

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Sadly, he is a bit of jerk just like SJ was. Still, seems to work in this field.

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Can't be nice in areas that are resistant to change. In order to get your ideas out there and move industries you have to be pushy. Elon has pushed space and electric cars. Also he did something that SJ wouldn't have done. He is allowing others to use his patents from Tesla so the industry can move to better man.

I do highly admire both of these gentlemen and what they have done with their life; and can't wait to see what Elon has for the future.

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

We don't have to wait. He has disrupted the space and car industry like few others before him. And to a lesser extent solar. This man is amazing now.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'd politely suggest you do more reading about the impact Steve has had on more important industries than making it possible for billionaires to be spacemen for a day. :)

There's a difference between disruption of and reinvention or creation of an industry.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Forgive me if I don't immediately prostrate myself...

8. carlgo macrumors 68000

I hate those exams too.

Per another post, has it come out that Musk is a jerk like Jobs? He is excitable and promises too much too soon, but that is different.

Tesla, SolarCity, RocketX...so hard to beat that any way you look at it.

Jobs may be given credit for us all walking around with little computers, and those in time will become vastly more powerful and useful once the bandwidth is there.

9. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I like Elon Musk, but I dislike our society's tendency to worship people like him and Steve Jobs. They are businessmen, brilliant businessmen to be sure, but don't ever think for one second that these people wouldn't rip your throat out to increase their profit margin a few percentage points. Business at the Fortune 500 level is an eat-or-be-eaten world and it takes a special type of sociopath to thrive in that environment.

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

LOL! I'm sorry, I forgot the earth could only have one visionary at a time and that we need to let the earth cool for 30 years after the hallowed passing of Steve.

If by billionaires you mean NASA's own astronauts, then yeah, I think you got me. Perhaps you should do some reading yourself?

Let's see, personal computing and portability, animation, and having all my music in my pocket versus cost effective space travel, arguably the most successful electric car ever with direct to consumer sales, the worlds largest battery research and production plant (which will undoubtedly power future iPhones), and bringing solar energy affordably to the average American. And Elon's just getting started.

Oh, I forgot, Steve cracked the code on television and content distribution. Wait, apparently not.

Look, I LOVE me some Steve Jobs. The guy was a genius and I miss him. I've owned nothing but Apple computers since 1991 (with the exception of a hackintoshed Dell Mini that filled a void before the Air or iPad). He disrupted and reinvented much (not so sure about outright creation). But he's gone and Elon is here.

No need to let the earth cool.

11. Melrose, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You win, I lose. Elon is great.

But specifically I was talking in relation to way the we communicate, not in fulfilling childhood fantasies. Don't get me wrong, Elon is doing cool things, it's just I don't put them in the same category as revolutionizing the way we share information, communicate, and create.

I feel sorry for people who trivialize what has been accomplished and write it off as simply "computers you put in your pocket." This is a generation that doesn't quite grasp the advances that have been in the past two or three decades. I don't worship Steve and he made some dumb moves, and was apparently a complete jerk to work for, but it's like saying the gun is more important than the printing press. That's all. Don't be condescending or patronize me just because we disagree. :)

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed. Talk to me when Elon has touched as many lives as the Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes stores have.

13. RenoG macrumors 65816

This^^ its all relative. Capitalism will always keep man two steps behind true progression, only alowing us common folk to enjoy just the crumbs of any break throughs, you know just enough to keep us jaded.

14. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Steve came up with some great tools, for sure, but IMO that tech path was already laid. SJ surely rushed it and also made it sexy and marketable. Musk makes tools too and the same could be said of him ushering in tech whose path was already laid. I would say Musks tools are much more impactful and less visible whereas SJ's tools are relatively simple but very visable and widely used by many people.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Because you know, computers weren't important :rolleyes:

16. juanm, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Because, you know, Jobs invented and built every single computer and phone by himself in his garage... :rolleyes:

He had very good taste, and he excelled at selling other people's work. That's it, he was a salesman. Without him we'd still have computers and the internet. Musk is going after electric transportation, and solar energy. It could change MUCH more the world than a different OS. Commercial space exploration will be huge, too, if it works.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Seriously, you guys need to read about the industries Steve influenced before you write him off as a salesman.

Actually bother yourselves to invest the time to learn something.

18. grahamperrin, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

You need a history lesson if you think Jobs was just a "salesman" for the industry. His company helped carve it out.

20. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

With his role as founder of PayPal, Musk invalidated all later achievments.

21. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

Steve was one of the best salespersons in the world! Where he differed is that he was a creative person and a visionary. It is a rare combination. Elon Musk has the same ability. Most salespeople are not creative, most creatives usually cannot sell.

22. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

...we'll be watching a Sorkin movie demonising him and exaggerating PR mis-steps like calling Apple a Tesla graveyard.

23. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

I agree that Musk is more like Jobs than anyone currently at Apple. But there's more to it: He's far more--far more--of an engineer than Jobs ever was.

Musk doesn't just "play the orchestra"

24. vanylapep macrumors member

Musk is creating Electronic Payment, Rockets and Electric Vehicles. Jobs created Computers, Music Player and Phones.

Not in the same league (in terms of engineering). Both are great.