Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
Alright, heres the situation. I use an eMac G4 1GhZ and last night I hit my usual hot corner to start up the screen saver and I went to bed. The next day I left early and when I came home my power had went out, but was back on. My eMac's power light was on, but I moved my mouse and nothing happened, the screen was black. I restarted the machine and same thing, it makes the starting sound, you can even hear the cd drive spinning if you try to boot off disc but the screen is solid black, any ideas please help! I've tried the hold command+option+p+r at start to no avail, I need her back up ASAP, help guys!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I am not sure if this will help, but someone needs to try to help you. I have read a lot of threads like this, and people who experience problems with their PowerMacs often have to reset the PMU, and it clears up the problem. Having said that, I have no idea how to do it on that model or if it is even possible. You might do a search for that here and see if something useful comes up. Having said that, several years ago, my house was hit by lightening and after the fact, my monitor behaved in exactly the same way as yours is and while it was fixable, it was cheaper to just upgrade to one of the new (at the time) Tangerine iMacs. So it may have to go to the shop to get it fixed. That is really my only two ideas. I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Sad...

Power surge...probably fried logic board...always, always use a surge protector...

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
nickyj182 said:
Alright, heres the situation. I use an eMac G4 1GhZ and last night I hit my usual hot corner to start up the screen saver and I went to bed. The next day I left early and when I came home my power had went out, but was back on. My eMac's power light was on, but I moved my mouse and nothing happened, the screen was black. I restarted the machine and same thing, it makes the starting sound, you can even hear the cd drive spinning if you try to boot off disc but the screen is solid black, any ideas please help! I've tried the hold command+option+p+r at start to no avail, I need her back up ASAP, help guys!

Got applecare? (Or still under warranty?) Take it back.

If not, consider leaving it "on" for a few hours and see if an image gradually appears on the CRT.

My emac's CRT had to be replaced a few weeks after I got it.

If it's out of warranty, consider buying a refurb 1.25ghz emac from apple for $699 - you could easily spend $500 replacing the crt in your current emac.

-vga4life

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
nickyj182 said:
I have Applecare, will that cover it completely?
Yes. Call them ASAP. Don't mention the power failure at your house, just tell them the symptoms and do what they say.

-vga4life

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.