Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jilter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Besides asthetics, what would be the differnces between an Imac and Emac? Is the design and LCD screen the whole difference in price? I am talking 1gHz, 80 gig, 17". I just bought a used Imac, and I think I made a mistake (I have not even gotten it yet). I think the Emac would have been a better value and probably better for my kids to play on. I think I got an o.k. price, so I can turn around and sell it, I believe.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
like the cube apple again has marketed a high end consumer system without the high end cpu and without a highend video card and charges an arm & a leg. When will those clowns figure this out? imac is way way behind the power towers and has the same level of performance as the emac. way to big of gap from pro to consumer. emac is the best buy the imac i would say is the worst performance wise vs cost that apple sells. expect a new imac soon and if not sales will continue the decline. apple needs a great high end prosumer machine. the imac is not that machine.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
actually if your machines are switched on the major time of the day, buy an imac, the lcd screen needs much less energy, and if you got some 20 machines, that is really playing a role.
and o course the estetics

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
The eMac is a much faster machine. IMO the iMac is a pretty slow machine. Too slow to justify the cost.

And the eMac is more durable. If your kids are old enough that you don't have to worry about them jabbing pencils at the screen, the iMac should be okay, though.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
the iMac is much quieter than the eMac.

i just upgraded from a 700 eMac to a 1.25 iMac and am very happy i did.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
i would be looking for an imac replacement in the next 6 months that has a g5 in it. right now emac cant be beat, imac is way overpriced for the performance and lame video chipset lets hope the next imac will correct all of this.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
i agree eMac is better value, but noise level was my main concern.

GeForce FX5200 is not the best, but it is not lame.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
fx5200 is at the bottom of the current produced video card chip set. everything else is only better so why does apple use it everywhere? its cheap! hello? a geforce mx card.....not much more. go to toms hardware or barefeats if you think this is not so. anyways we are waiting Apple:cool:

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I think Apple should change to a more diverse system instead of this two tier madness. Something like entry level or education/consumer mass market/general business/prosumer or gamer/professional workstations and tower servers/ rackmount and big box servers. That's six different levels off the top of my head. Both the eMac and iMac are still too expensive. Drop the prices on both and add in a consumer tower system that doesn't feel like a stripped down professional sytem. Maybe give it something like the old style plastic case. Offer bundles that include displays and speakers to make choices a little more obvious for first time buyers. Offer a better mouse as an option. In other words, just have more choices.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
no kidding all i want is a pci slot, a g5 2gig and ati 9800xt with a gig of memory. thats all . im sure there is millions of us out there. well maybe a 2.5 G5. put it in a cube like package and ill order one now.:eek: they force everything on you powermac, or cant upgrade at all imac type...come on apple expand your sales. this is 2003! just dont look at Nasa for proof.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The eMac is built around the old SDR PowerMac chipset (UniNorth/KeyLargo). And is probably still OS 9 bootable, even though Apple stopped mentioning it in the spec (probably just dropped the bootable copy of the OS 9 from the install).

The eMac chipset is a little more versatile than the old SDR chipset found in the old iBook/iMac (pangea), which is why it was upgraded to Airport Extreme -- while the SDR iBook/iMac waited until they went to all new chipset.

But now that the iBook/iMac have moved to a new DDR chipset (intrepid) along with the PowerBooks, they have left OS 9 bootability behind.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
true, but os 9 is so old, man os 9 crashed 100 times more often then osx. anyways all i can say is for 9 users to make the move and get some good clean memory.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.