Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
One of my co-workers is working on a fairly new emac. The emac seems to have a mind of it's own as sometimes it will connect to the network and internet and sometimes it doesnt.

I've done all of the obvious like checking cords etc... and without changing a thing he can re-start 2 or 3 times and it will work fine. It's becoming a daily occurance and it is getting quite annoying.

He's running OS 9.2 and Outlook and Internet Explorer.

Any help would be appreciated. :confused: :confused:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
What is the network setup like? Is this a large corporate network, or simply a home or small office connection where the eMac is connected to a hub or router directly?

Is it on the same physical network as other machines that are working regularly?

Why don't you upgrade to OS X? ;)

Just hoping some basic network configuration information may help us provide some guidance.

macmonkey615

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
sure.

We're in a a small office (17 employees) and we've got the networking T1 piped into our Sysco Router (which I have to reset almost daily) then off to our comps.

The emac is in the same location with many other computers that work perfectly fine. We've got an office with an emac right next to this one that works fine day to day.

We can't switch to os10 just yet because we've got 100'sK in databases etc.. and the jump would cause us to have downtime. We're looking into making the move this spring.

I've personally checked all of his tcp/ip info and it's all good. We've changed ethernet cables.. jiggled connections etc... the thing that is baffling is that he can not do a thing but keep resetting the computer and every few times it will connect. Dunno????

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Okay, so it sounds very specific to this eMac. I haven't used OS 9 in awhile, but you may want to whack the TCP/IP preferences file in case it is corrupt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.