Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firashd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
Hi,
I recently bought my domain name from 1and1, and hosting from Godaddy. I changed the nameservers on 1and1 to Godaddy's name servers, which got the website working. However, when I created free mail address from 1and1, the email seem to send emails but not receive any!
Quota is 'Disk space : 0.0 MB of 2 GB used'
Is there a setting I did not change that I should?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
MX Records direct email. If you haven't touched them I'm pretty sure you email is going to the default webmail at Godaddy, which may need to be configured.

For instance, here is how I have one email domain setup (with fictitious company names):
  1. Domain name managed by "ABC Domains".
  2. Nameservers at "ABC Domains" point to "XYZ web hosting" (If I stop here, then my mail will be sent to "XYZ web hosting" and that's where I need to get my webmail and IMAP/SMTP setup info).
  3. MX Records at "XYZ web hosting" point toward "123 Email Hosting", so I get my IMAP/SMTP settings from "123 Email Hosting".

firashd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2016
MX Records direct email. If you haven't touched them I'm pretty sure you email is going to the default webmail at Godaddy, which may need to be configured.

For instance, here is how I have one email domain setup (with fictitious company names):
  1. Domain name managed by "ABC Domains".
  2. Nameservers at "ABC Domains" point to "XYZ web hosting" (If I stop here, then my mail will be sent to "XYZ web hosting" and that's where I need to get my webmail and IMAP/SMTP setup info).
  3. MX Records at "XYZ web hosting" point toward "123 Email Hosting", so I get my IMAP/SMTP settings from "123 Email Hosting".

That's great explanation. But I'm still confused whether to change it from the domain company or hosting company? there is no option to change MX records from the hosting company 1and1, however, it's available to change form mu hosting company Godaddy.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Following the trail, "XYZ web hosting" would be Godaddy for you. Godaddy has to have a basic email there that you can setup and start using. If it's adequate for you then you don't need a different email host and you don't need to worry about MX records.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That's great explanation. But I'm still confused whether to change it from the domain company or hosting company? there is no option to change MX records from the hosting company 1and1, however, it's available to change form mu hosting company Godaddy.

Hosting is _just_ that, server(s) that provide services for app/content/DB/etc.

The Nameserver service provider is where you'll want to set your MX (mail) records. Sounds like that's now GoDaddy.

The Domain Registrar can (and usually does), provide Nameservers, however, you can use Nameservers from anywhere.

The slightly simplified version of how this works is like this:

A domain name used in a web browser, email address, etc., is looked up, the domain authority indicates where to resolve the domain name via the nameservers. The very specific IPs, server aliases, etc., are provided at the Nameservers.

Use the values below at GoDaddy, by editing (carefully) the DNS at GoDaddy to add MX records:

scr_mx_Records_03.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.