Email exchange with Jobs and I, possible heat damage!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickmccally, Dec 2, 2010.

1. nickmccally macrumors member

Basically, I noticed this a few weeks ago. I noticed the hinge has basically always creaked, but I never took it in for the noise. This came to my attention only of recent and I am past my warranty. I emailed Steve, and he was really rude in my opinion.

Someone on a forum said it looks like a heat delegation issue, and a possible fire hazard.

Here is the macbook pro:
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind, I've purchased iPods, iPhones, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Apple TV, etc.. This really changed my view on the company.

Headers to email: http://c0848462.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/8f95cd20a19c7f1ca13629a938bed35f.png

On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Nick McCally <nick@mccallyco.com> wrote:

My MacBook Pro is just over a year old, and in perfect condition.. except the plastic hinge its all cracked and squeaks when opening and closing the computer. I've noticed this for 8+ months, but never had the time to go to the North side of Indianapolis to my nearest Apple Store. Since I'm without a warranty, and it being a product defect... I have no options but to pay for the fixing?

Regards,
    Nick McCally
    McCally & Co.

w. McCallyCo.com

---

On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Steve Jobs wrote:

I'm afraid so. You must have banged it against something - they don't crack on their own.

Sent from my iPad

---

On Dec 2, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Nick McCally <nick@mccallyco.com> wrote:

Its cracked on the seam (edge) where there is approximately a 90 degree angle which suggests otherwise. I can attach a pic if required. I really expected better wear with paying the premium for an Apple Laptop from my old Compaq I had for a longer time with 0 problems. Love it otherwise though.

Regards,
    Nick McCally
    McCally & Co.

w. McCallyCo.com

---

On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Steve Jobs wrote:

This is not a wear problem, it's a drop problem.

Sent from my iPad

---

Never been dropped or traveled with without a case. I read macrumors and apple insider daily and never believed the emails you send. You are rather brutal and any genius would recognize.. its never been dropped.

(Attached pics in this email)

Regards,
    Nick McCally
    McCally & Co.

w. McCallyCo.com

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It is hard to say what happened based on the photo. There is a gouge to the left that does not look much like the cracks. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but from a third party perspective, it isn't clearly a manufacturing defect. Likewise, I've not heard or seen similar damage. Anything similar on the google?

3. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

We've all heard of the exploding iPod occasionally. Its not unlikely this unit is a defect. Cars can be lemons, but its highly unlikely. Maybe I just got a real bad one.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try harder and see if I can get some good customer service with this.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

To be fair, you noticed the issue 8 months ago. You knew your warranty would run out and chose not to buy Apple care.

5. nickmccally thread starter macrumors member

To be clear, I noticed the hinge creaking. Never noticed physical damage until 3-4 weeks ago.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

So either it happened outside of warranty, or it happened inside warranty and you didn't notice it.

Your best bet is probably to take it in to an Apple store.

Any why did you decide to contact the CEO of Apple to discuss your issue?

7. XFactorer macrumors regular

Dude, he probably just faked the email exchanged.

8. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

While I agree with you - he only joined to post this - it's not uncommon for Steve Jobs to reply to emails.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

10. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

There was nothing rude about his replies. It was classic Jobs one-liners. Not that it helps much, of course- nor will hearing that you should have gotten AppleCare!!

Anyway, scope around online for the black plastic piece and replace it yourself. If you're out of warranty, you're out of options. Yes, it might stink, but it's a solution.

11. vant macrumors 65816

I think he needs to look into a new field of work LOL.

The damage looks like a drop to me. Your computer has a freakload of scratches on it, so a drop isn't surprising.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Puhleeze. :rolleyes:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. You knew of the issue 8 months ago, at least that is what YOU said before you changed your mind in a later post. You contact the CEO of a company to bitch? That is classic, just classic.

Let your view of the company be changed. My view of you is that you learned a hard lesson in procrastination.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All things being equal, what were expecting Jobs to say - "here have a new MBP"

The picture you posted and presumably forwarded to Jobs shows physical damage, that just doesn't occur with heat.

If you didn't notice the damage for a period of time, its possible you banged it against something and didn't notice that.

As others stated, by waiting an extended amount of time when you first noticed something was wrong, you lost out on your warranty.

Also, while your opinion has changed regarding apple, Jobs remarks are anything but rude. He was not insulting, but curt and precise, neither of which should be construed as rude

15. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If it wasn't you, then you may want to consider discussing this with other members of your household, or friends, visitors, etc. who may have used your laptop. What the photo shows does not appear to be wear related.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... needs some work no doubt for a web development company :cool:

17. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

To be fair, I had a 13" 2009 MacBook Pro. It was NEVER dropped. The aluminum was pristine. It was kept in a soft laptop case the entire time I owned it and looked brand new...except for this flaking near the back vent. I've since sold it to a coworker who really wanted a Mac so I can't snap a photo, but I can promise you this is a heat dissipation issue, not a user problem. Never had hinge creaking though. If it were user error, my 15" 2010 MacBook Pro (also sold) would have had the same problem as it received the exact same handling in the exact same bag. It didn't. Nor has my 17" 2010 MacBook Pro.

It looks to me like a problem with some kind of laminate that they put over the rear hinge that is not heat resistant. The 2009 would get extremely hot under load. The Core i5 is a lot less affected by load stress in terms of causing the fans to ramp to full caliber, so it's possible the 2010 is also affected by the problem but it takes more time for the issue to reveal itself.

On the flip side though, this is exactly why you should consider symptoms as precursors to possible larger issues and get them checked out ASAP. If you're nearing the end of your warranty period, consider getting the AppleCare extension before it expires so that you're covered. Don't just ignore it and hope it goes away.

18. aCondor macrumors 6502

False logic.

Example: I wear two socks and use them exactly the same. Why does only one have a hole in it?

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd hire you. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Cut him some slack
    He only noticed the web page issues 7 months ago, he'll get to it in another month

21. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Because one of them was manufactured slightly thinner. This is basically a defect, like what the OP is experiencing...

22. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I'd fire off an email to the CEO of Gold Toe!

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Leave the OP alone, maybe it was not McCally that has failed but it was the Co!

24. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

What's better is that the text box is right next to "attention to detail" love it!

25. preppy macrumors member

preppy

:D Nice.

I love how the OP includes his "work" information in his posts (not in his sig) and it's getting ragged on...talk about failed planning...

OP: And if Steve Jobs really did correspond with you...and you feel passionately enough about this (which sounds like it)...you should go to bigger venues, other than a forum thread, to get the word out...assuming what you say is legit...