Email from Apple this morning.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jons, Oct 18, 2012.

1. jons macrumors 6502

So I wake up to find this email waiting for me. Is this for real? Anyone else get one of these?

"Complete your iPhone activation

Dear Apple Customer,

We appreciate your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store. Our records indicate, however, that you haven't completed your activation yet.

For your convenience, we'll be automatically completing your iPhone activation in the next 15 days, and your AT&T account will be upgraded to the wireless plan you selected at time of purchase. Of course, you can still complete the activation yourself by simply connecting your iPhone to your computer."

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

I hope you do realize that your $199 iPhone 5 purchase is subject to signing a 24-month wireless contract.

So if you haven't activate your phone yet, Apple can force this on you.

3. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Dumb question but....
    Did you activate your iPhone already?

I really hope you didn't sell it...

4. jons thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what my contract has to do with it? I'm still paying my contract, and using my iPhone 4.

5. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

Just call Apple and ask them what the deal with the email is.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If you bought the phone from Apple on their site you agreed to a new contract to get the price. They have every right to activate billing on it.

7. jons thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course I sold it. I re-upped the contract like I've done every time a new iPhone was released. This is the first time I've gotten this kind of email. I'm probably going to need to call them. I just wanted to make sure this is a legit email, and see if anyone else had gotten one.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They'll do it and transfer your account to the new phone/IMEI/SIM.

I was planning to wait a couple days to wrap up some things on old phone, and do the transfer when I had some downtime.

No... activation transferred on my drive home, 5 was activated and 4 was no service. Didn't have service that evening when out and about. Was a little annoying.

Better to activate at your convenience IMO.

9. jons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call and see what to do.

10. dchao macrumors 6502a

Just out of interest, if you sold it without activating it first, how is the buyer going to activate it?

The email is probably an automated email from Apple, because on their system it looks like you haven't up your contract by 2 more years (as your iP5 is showing up as unactivated). But you probably have done it already.

I think when Apple finally notifies your wireless carrier, the carrier will look at their own records and notice it has been done already.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can't they just get a new sim?

12. jons thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, new sim would work, but I'm pretty sure the one I sold went out of country.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So is the buyer screwed? Was your intent just to buy and profit? What about your next upgrade or are you banking on an early upgrade?

14. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Won't the "out of the country" buyer be screwed?

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ah so the buyer is screwed lol.

16. CoriG macrumors 6502

I got the same email. I bought my phone through doing a cross upgrade - I switched the iphone5 to another number. I called apple and they said not to worry about it.

17. dunkin1 macrumors newbie

When the new user opens the phone it is going to probably ask for your s.s number and other verification information.

18. dave420 macrumors 65816

Why would the buyer be screwed? They will have a perfectly usable phone. If they were having any trouble activating their phone then this should clear it right up.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont make a difference.
    For the initial activation when bought under contract you will need to go through this screen first.
    Once that info is entered correctly you will never see it again.
    Its just for the first activation.

Because of this below.
    Hope the seller provides him that info or he'd be stuck with an unusable iphone.

Unless its an verizon iphone 5 then it will work without that screen below. That's just for AT&T iphones.

Attached Files:

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I really don't know if thats the case. I got my iPhone from someone elses account and I couldn't activate it or pass that screen because I needed a new SIM. Once I got the New SIM, I was good to go.

21. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Also AT&T's phones are sim locked.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    But can be unlocked with an imei unlock.

23. tonester99 macrumors newbie

I got the same email from apple and called them back right away because the unactivated phone in question was stolen by the UPS driver and was never in my possession. I've already gotten a replacement phone and have since activated that phone. But apple thinks my stolen phone is still unactivated and in my possession. I've already called apple about this and have forwarded the email to one of their managers informing him DO NOT ACTIVATE THAT PHONE because it is a stolen phone. But 2 days later, I received another automatic activation email saying that it will activate my phone in 5 days. WTF??? why can't apple put a notation in their records that this phone was reported as stolen. Looks like I will have to call them again tomorrow and get this straightened out.

24. theonna macrumors newbie

So, I've called and explained that it is a present for my son and he'd activate it, when he gets it... they said that they put a note there and not to worry, yet in a week I got email notifying that they activated it for "my convenience", my son's phone went dead, he had to get his present early.
    Much convenience!

25. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

lol he thought he could get away with not activating the phone and only getting it for 200. Another one bites the dust