Email on the apple watch leaves a lot to be desired

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BrettDS, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Email is my life at work and I'm a bit disappointed with the way the apple watch handles it. As near as I can tell it doesn't support HTML email at all... many of my emails come with a little note at the top stating "This message contains elements Apple Watch cannot display. You can read a plain text version below", which is followed by the text of the email. This isn't terrible as the text is all I really need, but seeing that disclaimer over and over on the top of many of my emails gets old pretty quickly.

A couple of times I've gotten this note: "The full version of this message isn't available on Apple Watch. But you can read it on your iPhone" and in this case I get no text or anything from the email. I've only seen it a couple of times today and I think they've all been marketing emails, so other than the annoyance factor of not being able to read it on the watch they haven't really affected my work productivity.

Additionally, it does seem to take some formatting info from the email, but what it chooses to take is annoying too. By default Outlook colors the text in an email reply blue... and when the apple watch displays this blue over a light grey background in a notification it's all but completely unreadable. It's certainly not quick and easy to read at a glance. If you read the email from the email app on the watch it has black background and that makes the blue text a little easier to read, but it's still not great.

When you get an email notification you have the option to flag it, mark it as read, or trash it, which is great... I've been using a pebble for a while now and while I love getting emails on my wrist one of my biggest complaints with the pebble was that it wouldn't mark the message as read after I saw it, nor could I delete the message from the watch. However, with the apple watch when an email notification comes in you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the email to get these options... and some of the emails I deal with have been long conversations and it takes forever to scroll all the way down to get to the options. There needs to be a way to delete a message from the initial notification without having to scroll all the way through the message.

Finally, I'm a bit disappointed that you can't reply to an email from the watch. The ability to send a quick canned message or do a quick dictation like you can with an SMS would be pretty helpful sometimes.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Hopefully the ability to respond to an email comes. As for the long emails, wouldn't you want to handle those on something other than your watch? With the pebble, if it looks long I take my phone out.

Im still waiting on the damn UPS man!

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I would've liked this feature also but I knew going in that you couldn't do it.

4. BrettDS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I would hope that the ability to reply to messages will come sometime.

As far as the long messages go, many of the messages contain just a quick one sentence reply at the top followed by 10 or 15 older messages from the earlier conversations. My problem is that in order to get to the options that let me trash it I need to scroll down through the entire thing.