email that I send myself in Mail.app from my Gmail acct does not appear in inbox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beethovengirl, May 13, 2007.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

If I send email to myself in Apple Mail from my Gmail account, it does not appear in my inbox in Apple Mail though it does appear in my inbox when I check Gmail via a web browser. How can I fix this so that email I send to myself in Mail.app shows in my Mail.app inbox?

Another problem that I have is that any email I send [not to myself] from Gmail via a web browser shows up in my Apple Mail inbox. How can I fix this as well?

Thank you for any help! :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Rules "should" do it (Mail Menu==>Preferences==>Rules), but mine have stopped working, so I don't know how exactly to do it :eek:.

3. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your reply. I've tried setting up a rule that email that satisfies all of the following conditions: from [me] is copied to my inbox, but it's not working
    :(

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I often send myself emails when I'm at work, I send it from my @gmail.com account to my @gmail.com account.
    When I get home and open up mail the email I've sent myself turns up in my sent mail folder, not my inbox.
    It's not great but it works.
    You could try setting up another email account to send emails from. Within gmail you can authorise several "from addresses" so you wont have to log out of gmail to do this. Then any email you send yourself will appear in your inbox.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sent mails in Mail.app go in the sent mail folder. I don't believe rules act on messages in the sent mails folder, which is why your rule isn't working. If you really need a copy in your inbox, try Mail -> Preferences -> Composing -> Automatically BCC myself. This should create a copy of the message in your inbox on Mail.app that will also be visible in your inbox on GMail's web interface.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

This is the way mail.app and gmail work together. If you send a mail from inside mail.app a copy of the outgoing mail will be in the Sent mail folder of mail.app, if you send a mail from the web interface a copy of the outgoing mail will be in the inbox of mail.app. That is just the way it works. As previously said, you could probably set up rules to move things to different folders as required.

7. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

But wouldn't this create copies of all messages that I send [including those to others]? I only want copies of emails that I send to myself in my inbox.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could create a Rule that says:

If all of the following:
    To address is my gmail address
    From address is my gmail address

Then move message to Inbox

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry, I missed the "to myself." :eek: You send mail to yourself? To keep reminders? hmmm... I just tried this with my GMail, and I do get the message back in my inbox. :confused:

10. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

that didn't work either :(

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It may not work automatically, you may have to Apply Rules (Message->Apply Rules) for it to work