Emails apps randomly shutting down

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Labhras, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Labhras macrumors regular

Hi all - I have a 2014 MBA updated to High Sierra 10.13.1.
    For the last week (and it's only referred to email programs) they've been shutting down, first randomly and then after few minutes of usage.
    I have Mail, Canary and Spark - all three quit after being opened or trying to write/move/read emails.
    I restarted my Mac, updated the apps but nothing changed.
    Do you guys have any idea?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

3. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

I didn’t update Mail but I updated the other apps I use

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Well, things definitely sound screwed up as I don’t think there’s any integration between separate email apps on the Mac. The only thing they have in common, I’m pretty sure, is the email that they’re downloading. One thing I can think of is some horribly corrupt email that could crash all three apps. I’ve never seen that but I’ve never gone beyond fixing a corrupt email crashing one app.

5. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

I didn’t mean that the apps were integrated but that I use the three of them. I noticed yesterday that the problem appears as soon as I select. Yahoo account. As long as I work with another account they don’t seem to crash. Could it be a corrupt email or should I just delete and reinstall the account?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

With what you’re describing it is starting to look like a corrupt email in that Yahoo account. Removing/re-adding the account probably won’t help. It can be difficult to track down a corrupt email.

If these Yahoo accounts in the three apps are set up as IMAP, I’m thinking you could login at Yahoo webmail and see if you can clean things up there. If this is happening when you go to the Yahoo inbox in those apps you could, at the Yahoo webmail page, move all your inbox mail to a particular folder. Then you could see if, in the mail client apps on your Mac, the app still crashes when you click on the account and go to the inbox. If not, then you could assume the culprit is now in that particular folder…and opening that folder may cause the crash again.

Before you go through all of this you could just clean up the Yahoo inbox at the website and see if you get lucky and get rid of the bad email.

7. Labhras thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I archived all the mail and no more crashes. Pretty weird though