Embrace Life - always wear your seat belt

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 4, 2010.

1. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Good ad for sure. It dumbfounds me that people don't wear seat belts.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've just realised that is a UK advert :eek: It's just a local one rather than a national government one...

5. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

A mate of mine has a Yamaha motorcycle that has "Preserve nature - wear a helmet" on the fuel tank. Something lost in translation there...

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I've always found the excuses for not wearing a seatbelt astounding. Crinkled clothing? Too much trouble? Uncomfortable? ...As opposed to being killed?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice find.

Good videos as well. Reminds me of Drivers Education.

Good point.

This one is most interesting and really shows what can happen.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, not wearing seat belts is pretty stupid.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They are uncomfortable, thats why I don't wear them unless I am on the highway. Ive been in two head ons and a back end accident also (passenger). No injuries, in fact it wasn't even that bad even though the cars were totaled.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Then you were lucky.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If they are uncomfortable then they are adjusted wrongly. You shouldn't even notice they are there. Note that I wear 3-point belts when I'm driving: I've got 4 point racing harnesses which are safer.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

[​IMG]

Special emphasis on the subtitle.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad you didn't get hurt in the accidents, but not wearing your seat belt is not a smart thing to do.

Attached Files:

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Three times? If I'm not going over 35 I'm not wearing a seatbelt, wrecks at town speed really aren't a big deal with current build quality and safety standards. I barely even felt the last wreck at ~35 into the back of a truck.

How many low speed seat belt advocates have actually been in a wreck at low speed?

15. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nonsense. After a while, you do it automatically and don't even realize they are there.

Watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SWAG6mqXXQ

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

that doesn't happen at low speeds. I will say I will wear a seatbelt if it's one of those annoying cars that beep.

17. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope, it doesn't. Problem is, the other guy won't be driving at low speeds.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Seatbelts have been shown to be effective at speeds as low as 11 miles per hour: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv19/05-0431-W.pdf

If you were in a car, that sort of force could cause soft tissue damage which is the biggest cause of injury in low speed accidents.

As I said, you have been lucky. Yes, 3 times.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is that vw golf cars or golf carts? Golf carts are built like crap. I'm on iPod now so I can't check. If I go on the highway I buckle up. I don't live in a city with highways either though.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes you are lucky. I know people who have gone to the hospital from getting into a wreck at under 20 mph from there head hitting the dash. I have seen people carted off in strap down in ambulance from a wreck that happen out side my apartment. Safe to say at the time they were going under your 35 mph limit when they slammed into a car that pulled out in front of them.

I had a friend who was in the back seat of the SUV I was driving and I was about to start to go when I had to slam on the brakes for a car that was speeding. My friend bloody his lip from when face hit the center console I was under 15 mph when I slammed on the brakes.
    Key fact about every one of those stories is every person was not wearing a seat belt.

I have a rule in my car that I have always enforced and that is wear your seat belt or this car is not moving. If you wear your seat belt right you should not noticed it their.

The excuses people come up with are pretty sad. Many states already have seat belt laws and they need to strength them. Cops in Texas can already pull you over for not wearing a belt and ticket each person in the car.
    The next thing that needs to be added is if you get hit by another driver and you were not wearing your seat belt they have ZERO liability for any of your injuries. It is such a basic safety thing in cars.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Great video, but the thread title combined with the fact that it was started by rdowns made me think that I would be treated to a picture of a woman wearing nothing but a seatbelt.

No such luck. ;)

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

So you don't wear a seatbelt and you don't believe in insurance? I'm sorry but that just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen...

23. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Nice try guys, trying to get ZA to do the sensible thing. However, let's let evolution decide. Thin the herd!!!

24. ethical macrumors 68000

I agree it's a very good advert! Also makes a change from the gory and very graphic ones that have been produced lately. But not to say they aren't effective!

I agree. Darwin FTW!