Eminem puts it to Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fitshaced, Oct 11, 2017.

1. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

A very good message and strong delivery. Definitely a lot of passion in his words.

2. vipergts2207, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

What’s funny is if you visit r/t_d, posts about it have defensive comments to the effect of, “who cares, he’s not even relevant anymore.”

Meanwhile, these same people are completely enamored with “based” Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, 3 Doors Down, Scott Baio, and other totally and completely relevant entertainers.
    /s

Edit: I should add it’s a stupid argument on its face anyway. His last album in 2013 went 4x platinum in the U.S. and he’s got a new one due out this year. Pretty hard to make a case for irrelevancy.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Very important guy and his message no doubt carries a lot of validity & weight. Excellent. Way to go, Marshall.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He's so brave to come out and bash Trump. No one has had the balls to do this. So edgy.

I wonder if he's got a new album coming out? Yup he does!

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Get em Em!

Notably, his message has been on point for close to a decade now.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Still looking at celebrities? Meh. This stuff will do more damage than anything in 2020.

Also, his line on the sand is a bit the definition of fascism. I can be a fan of whoever I want, including both him and Trump.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trump is more than stupid enough to get into a Twitter fight with Eminem.

Who, by the way, has something like 21 million followers.

Eminem's rap starts out a little unevenly, but it finds its rhythm a minute or two in. Don't underestimate the misery that Donald Trump is stoking for himself.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I highly doubt people in 2020 will even remember a freestyle rap video from the BET awards show 3 years prior. It’s pretty great today though.

He doesn’t want you as a fan if you are also a fan of Trump, as is his right.

Frankly, I highly dought any MAGA hat morons are fans of eminem to begin with.

9. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

Does having 21 million twitter follows mean much. He’s a music star although his popularity is starting to wane
    Don’t listen to my music if your a Trump fan:rolleyes:

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Since when the artist chooses his/her own fans?

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Did you miss the word "want"? Or did you intentionally decide to supplant it with "choose"?

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

When you want a steak and not a salad, you chose the steak.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Cool. Where is my Ferrari?

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Waiter is still free to bring you a salad :)

(Your Ferrari is in my garage)

15. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I'll never understand why people care what a celebrity of any caliber has to say about politics.
    Celebrity opinions are like *******s, everyone's got one and they all stink.

People like Ted Nugent, who is a draft dodging ****ing psycho and ******* crazy, really need to shut up sit the **** down.
    Their "help" is really not helpful at all.

As for Eminem's comments. I see it for what it is, meaningless self promotion for his fan base to push album sales. a.k.a "Look at me, I'm edgy, buy my album."

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

He’s got an opinion like anybody else though and we sure share our opinions on Mac Rumours.

I think the difference is Eminem’s opinion will have more of an impact than ours and some don’t like it if they don’t agree with him. If he was pro Trump we’d have a thread here hailing his opinion as great.

17. 0098386 Suspended

Wow, that’s surprisingly powerful and so much energy and believability in his words. I’m not really a fan of rap and/or hip hop besides the super early stuff (stopped liking most music after the 90’s :D ) gonna have a look for this on Apple Music and add it to my library if poss.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    What I like is that he’s expressing what, technically, most americans are thinking/feeling. That builds solidarity. That’s what happens when celebrities endorse people. It builds confidence and solidarity which makes folk happy, or sad if their fave celebrity doesn’t like their action (like kneeling sports people lol).

Funny thing; I love the Roseanne show from years ago. It’s so cosy and loveable and wholesome. When Roseanne Barr [sp] went all alt-right and white supremacist on Twitter I called her out, correcting a post she made regarding race. She didn’t like that, argued with me, tried to dog pile me (it didn’t work) we both blocked each other and that was that. It felt so weird. I still love the show but I won’t bother with her new work.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It’s not nice to steal a mans car.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    If it works for Trump selling steak why not a rapper.

19. jdillings macrumors 68000

Eminem isn't the left's savior. Just a tiny sample of his lyrics:

Rap God
    Kill You
    Bagpipes From Baghdad
    Shady XV
    It's funny watching the same people who gave Harvey Weinstein a pass for his behavior because he was a big Democrat supporter and hated Trump, are the same ones giving Eminem a pass.

20. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Donald Trump ran off his celebrity status to promote his book and his pseudo-businesses (and is still doing so in the White House as President). Donald Trump is the master self-promoter of his own brand, even values his own brand at some absurd billion dollar valuation. So for you to support Trump but then not Emimen is quite hypocritical.

21. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Eminem's been largely non-controversial for well over a decade. His rapping is - to me - a sort of pseudo comedy. We let comedians get away with a lot because its comedy, I apply the same logic to music. Hell, you would think fans of Trump would be fans of Eminem, Eminem doubled-down on his raunch when he first came out, refusing to go soft on his lyrics because some PC folks dissed him. And he took plenty of flack from the left.

I'd rather hear a celebrities' opinion on politics than put one in the white house, at any rate.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

But, Eminem has never done any of that. It's called entertainment, a play on words, shock value.

Also, Bob Marley has never shot a Sheriff. LOL

23. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

What makes your opinion more valid than a celebrity's? You think all celebrities are idiots?

24. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I don't know. A lot of people are saying some pretty tremendous things about Mr. Marley. Big things, nasty things believe me!

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wouldn't underestimate Eminem's anti-Trump rap.

Let's just start out by noting this: There have been literally thousands of eloquent, well-reasoned, dignified and polite articles and editorials written, by some of the most admired and intellectual people in the US and around the world, that have argued very forcefully that Donald Trump is fundamentally unfit to be President.

And you know what? We got stuck with the buffoon all the same. No number of Washington Post or New York Times editorials were likely to change that.

One reason that we got stuck with the buffoon is that not enough young people, not enough African-American and minority people, went to the polls. Especially in places like Michigan, and Wisconsin and Florida. They might have gotten excited about Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012. But they just didn't gel with Hillary Clinton. Bad on them. Bad on Hillary.

If Eminem, and the rest of the hip-hop industry, can ignite a smack-down fight with Donald Trump - they'll win. Trump might think he's firing up his base. But those people were already going to vote for him. The hip-hop and rap audience - they probably weren't going to vote at all. But if Eminem et al can get their audience to understand the fact that the President of the United States sees them as the enemy, that he's telling cops to rough them up, that he thinks the Nazis and the KKK are "fine people"?

I'm bored with reading editorials from Paul Krugman and Conor Friedersdorf telling me what a crappy President and human being Donald Trump is. I want to someone who'll give it to Trump in a manner he understands, but more importantly, in a manner that the young voters who are going to toss his fat white ass on the street are going to understand.