Emoji for the rest of us IN JAPAN????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Nov 21, 2008.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Unbelievable.

Apparently emoji only works when composing SMS and email using the carrier-provided email account. In other words, if you're stupid enough to use MobileMe (like me, the good Apple fanboy that I am) you're SOL - no emoji. Not only can I not compose messages with emoji, but I can't receive them. ON MY IPHONE. USING MOBILE FREAKING ME, APPLE'S EMAIL SERVICE.

How utterly WORTHLESS. As if anyone uses SoftBank's 30-day retention (no joke! 30 days until messages auto-delete) email which doesn't even support push, anyway. LAME. LAME!!!

It's almost as if Apple desperately WANTS to fail in this market. Because they're doing a remarkable job of it. All this talk about FINALLY giving Japanese users emoji (which is a BIG deal here) and it doesn't even work with MobileMe (or Gmail, or Yahoo, or any other private email servers) ... PATHETIC. :mad:

2. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm relaxed. I just can't believe how ignorant Apple is when it comes to this market. It's truly amazing just how spectacularly they keep ****ing us over.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

or you can just be like me, get a nice sharp phone and go for DoCoMo!!!! xD

4. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Nah. I like having Safari in my pocket. Plus access to my MobileMe mail (and personal domain mail accounts) ... Oh and the App Store. And of course my iPod. ;)

5. macdigger macrumors member

Relax indeed :) It sucks, but is very explainable.

Softbank needs to convert emoji so they look the same no matter what operator you send mail to or receive it from. So they need full control over servers. Remember - emoji are some very special characters, not just "; )" converted to graphical symbol. Apple is smart for not getting into this business.. everybody knows that Japanese 3-carrier compatibility is a mess.

Actually, I'm happy with emoji in SMS - and email (or MMS, or whatever) doesn't really need any emojis inside the messages, no matter MobileMe or Crapbank's brain-dead email service ;)

It's great we finally got emojis!!

6. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

That's true - I guess Apple can't really be blamed for the ineptitude of Japanese engineers ... ;)

Whatever. I was looking forward to finally being able to see what my DoCoMo and AU friends were emailing me (they always use emoji, assuming that I can see them) but since I use MobileMe, I guess I'm screwed. Oh well.

7. macdigger macrumors member

You should get everybody to Softbank ;) Problem solved! And you'll get a heap of 5,000yen tadatomo gift checks :D

8. breadbox9 macrumors newbie

No, I do not get it. I should be able to at least receive them. I can see any emoji on Gmail. why cannot I see it on the iPhone?:mad:

9. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

That's a good question. Sending is one thing, but why can we not at least RECEIVE them?