Emoji keyboard??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I added this to my GFs phone lastnight. I selected the keyboard that said "Emoji". When she sends one, every person gets a (?) instead of the image. Did I choose the wrong keyboard?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Only works with other iOS 5 devices and OSX Lion.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Other people with an iPhone got the (?) too though. Her friend has it enabled on her phone and she was able to send her emoticons just fine. I have an Android and she gets mine, but I get (?) from her.

4. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

The ones sent from an iPhone can only be received on another iPhone.

5. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That sucks!!

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Do those other people with iPhones have iOS 5? blueroom noted that as a limitation.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

They need iOS 5 for Apple iPods, iOS 4.x won't natively display them. Your Android will probably need a firmware update or patch (good luck with that) to support the emoji from Apple devices.

8. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

The girl that sent her some emoticons was on iOS5. My GF is as well. She sent to the girl that sent to her and she got (?). She then asked her if she was on iOS5. She says to me... "Babe, am I on i5OS".

9. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Haha! That's pretty funny. In any case, perhaps Emoji requires MMS? And if so, perhaps that isn't enable on the other girl's phone?

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Wait, iOS 5 Emoji are different from iOS 4 Emoji?

I used to get Emoji just fine on my iOS 4 phone last month.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It doesn't have to be enabled to see it. You can see them in pretty much any app that displays text as emoji is a built in character set. You have to enable the emoji keyboard (iOS) or command+option+T (OSX) to send them.

Seems they work in older iOS too. Whadda ya know.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/37959/enable-the-emoji-keyboard-in-iphone-os-4-0-how-to/

It also mentions.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I just conducted a small test. I have iOS 3.1.3, 4.3.3, and 5.0 devices. I sent an email containing emoji from the iOS 5 device to the 3.1.3 and 4.3.3 device. The 3.1.3 device just showed little squares, the 4.3.3 device showed most of them. I then tried sending an emoji email from the 3.1.3 device to the other two, all the icons appeared correctly. My guess is that Apple has changed the emoji character set between 4.3.X and 5. Even though emoji was introduced with iOS 2.1, it isn't fully backwards compatible.