Emperor Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 13, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Please.

Maintaining the American military Empire is one of the ONLY bipartisan efforts out there today.

But still, this country needs to get it's head out of it's ass and recognize that our ENTIRE history has been that of expansion at the tip of the spear. That needs to change in the 21st century or we're going to be the Rome of this century.

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

If the OP would look past his blind hatred of Obama.

He would be able to see that this is a very good example of dammed if to do dammed if you don't.
    ISIS is a major danger to Middle East stability.

Anybody who thinks that the USA could just pull out of the Middle East is just being totally naive.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Perhaps we can't just pull out completely, but going in slowly like this is just asking for more problems down the line. We either need to do nothing and let ISIS run its course, or go back in with a full scale invasion and hope that we can figure out a way to maintain the occupation indefinitely.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Agreed. You cannot pussyfoot this. Obama in pleasuring his base with the removal of troops left the vacuum into which ISIS filled. "A JV squad" is what Obama called ISIS as they relentlessly plowed through cities. So the White House sat on its hands until ISIS entrenched and beyond what it was that American and an international contingent of troops spilled blood and treasure for. Obama's reversal is too little, too late, and is but a bandaid on a gaping wound.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I see that you have pointed out every thing thats wrong, what is your plan to make it right?
    Full scale invasion, a bit of shock and awe?

Obama inherited a crap hand with Iraq, it was already a cess pit of problems.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Putting aside you're absurd focus on Obama when the ME has been a decades long feat of interference from the USA....

Status of forces agreement <--Google it, tell me who signed it and when.

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I love how the administration's flack describes the bases as 'lily pads," as if Iraq is calm and peaceful like a Monet painting.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I'm starting to believe The Obama Adminstration is convinced that Irag needs to be split in 3 sections.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We couldn't maintain an indefinite occupation force in Iraq even if there had been the political will to try. AN extended occupation will further bankrupt us and cause far more harm than ISIS could ever hope to. So I would think that of the two options I listed leaving them to run their course until the local people turn against them is the best. Yes ISIS does pose a threat to the US because they have lots of westerners fighting for them that have easy access to the US, but so far at least they haven't shown a real interest in using them for that purpose as they have been using foreign fighters in Iraq and Syria rather than sending them back home to attack the west. So I'd say the threat of financial ruin from an extended occupation is greater than the terrorist threat from ISIS.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It is immoral to fight a war without devoting enough resources to win it decisively. Otherwise generations grow up in violence and it becomes ingrained. ISIS was nothing until it started pulling in ex-military from Hussein's regime. We're fighting the same leadership we've been fighting since Gulf War I. I do not see Obama's move as being a positive thing, for it's half-assed. It's just enough to agitate the ME against the US, and if there are causalities, we'll start pulling out.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It would actually probably help or maybe three self governing provinces under a larger umbrella.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

First, your thread title is inapropos. What is your constant issue with President Obama? I bet Obama couldn't catch a cold without your finding some reason to criticize it. The U.S. does have a President, who has a large role in the U.S. government including foreign policy. Feel free to get elected to Congress and propose some constitutional amendments.

Second, to paraphrase Colin Powell, "The U.S. owns the problem". You can't automatically classify any attempt to limit the reach of the Islamic State as being imperialism. Some people feel a moral obligation to try to improve conditions in Iraq, since the U.S. played a large role in getting where we are today.

Third, I'm sure some fractions of both parties, Democrats and Republicans, are basically neocon, but, how big are those fractions? (Actually, does someone have a good reference for this? A poll of some type that captures neocon sympathy?) Neocon talk seems pretty unpopular right now. Neoisolationism seems to be on the rise, in the U.S. and Europe. But, ignoring the Middle East, which many Libertarians advocate, is easier said than done.

14. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The president owns foreign policy. Should I still be blaming Bush?

When the U.S. re-establishes bases all over Iraq, the Middle East will not see it as altruistic American benevolence. They will see it as yet more American imperialism and ISIS will feed on that opinion.

The neocon faction is both is large, probably a majority.

That was Joe Biden's suggestion in 2006. It was and is a good idea, but the Iraqi's need to do it themselves.

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

Such a cunning plan. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

...adding, so what's the plan if/when one of these bases is overrun by ISIS and a bunch of American military are on the Internet having their heads cut off?

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Hmm. Who exactly created ISIL in the first place?

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Wikipedia: "The group was founded in 1999 by Jordanian radical Abu Musab al-Zarqawi as Jamāʻat al-Tawḥīd wa-al-Jihād, "The Organisation of Monotheism and Jihad" (JTJ)."

Of course, it's morphed over the years.

18. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

He's trying to get more section 8 garbage in affluent American areas by force.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Either you posted in the wrong thread, or you really do obsess about Obama a little to much.
    I would like to point out that this thread is about the US foreign policy in the middle east, and the ISIS problem.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

I don't think the current government has anything to do with the US's unparalleled expansionism or war mongering....... I think its just an "America" thing.

Of course America aren't the only country guilty of that.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm watching a frontline episode called "Losing Iraq" according to the prgram and the people in it President Bush through GEN Casey wanted a light footprint in 2004 leading to what one gent called "war tourists". If my experience in Afghanistan is any basis of experience this is a literal statement. We can't fix mistakes of 11 years ago but I wonder if these "lilly pads" are more of the same.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how happy would you be if foreign invaders set up "LILLY" pads in your country & dictated how YOU should be governed?

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You mistake my pondering for a lack of desire to re-enter Iraq. I support re-entering Iraq but with a gloved iron fist not playing silly PC games. i.e. we need to either **** or get off the pot

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that will NEVER happen, end goal is not to "win", the end goal is to be forever set up there so that others can line their pockets at the expense of our brother & sisters in arms.