Encarta like app.?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

Affter constantly searching the internet for obscure historical event sand similar things, it reminded me of when I used to use encarta about 9 years ago. Are then any apps for the Mac which are as in depth and thorough as MS Encarta?

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I really think Encarta is great, and I'd like to hear responses, but since you said searching the net.... are you aware of Wikipedia? (www.wikipedia.org) It has been growing by leaps and bounds, and frequently has a really good level of detail. :)

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
yea, i use wikipedia all the time, i really wanted an encarta like app, so when I'm on the move I don't always have internet access.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Peterkro said:
Britannica? I believe I have it somewhere but I don't see the Dvd version on their website.
Yes its 2005 the ultimate reference source,so you must be able to buy it somewhere,I don't remember where I got it. ;)
Amazon has it -- can't vouch for it, personally, but the last time I used it, it seemed very nice. Link. It comes on a multi-platform disc (mac/win). :)

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
thanks for the advice i'll try britannica, I remeber trying World Book on my friends iMac and thiniking it was a pretty poor effort.