Encoding time of a 12gb bluray rip? 40min, is that to high?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by henrikrox, Mar 3, 2011.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So i tried handbrake for the first time, and im using the high preset, its a 12gb mkv on 2 hours, 1080p

I set the ouput to 720p

It says it takes 35-40 min, is this normal?

2. harpster macrumors regular

Yep! Rip to computer then add to the Handbrake Queue - than sleep on it and encoded video will be ready for you in the morning. The HB Users Guide suggests a Constant Quality setting of RF 21-22 for Blu-Ray. If you go lower it will take even longer.

3. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

A Blue Ray encode at 45mins??? Hell, if I could do them that fast I'd be over the moon! 12Gb for me to HB would take like 5hrs.

4. Valve1138 macrumors newbie

5. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

well i overclocked my windows pc to 4.8ghz, its a sandy bridge i7-2600k, however i thought it was going to be quicker, but oh well, cant complain i guess.

6. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

1 - does HB support the fast hardware encoding that SB brings to the table?

2 - does your system have a 3rd party graphics card?

Reason being... If HB does support SB super encoding it will only work if your system ONLY has Intel's on board graphics... I have heard that someone (outside of intel) developed something that allows 3rd party graphics while still being able to make use of the fast encoding... Thinking this might only be a windows thing but not sure...

7. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Hb doesnt use the gpu, it only uses the cpu, no hardware acceleration, hb said they didnt use it because the encoding time was actually longer with hardware accleration. But i know HB is using all my cores, because it says load speeds 100%, on all 4 cores/8threads.

But ive asked around, and it seems 35-40 min is very fast, so i guess everything is working okay

8. haoledoc macrumors member

My laptop is pushing 5 hours for HD encodes! I only wish I could approach 45 min.

9. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

im glad im not the only one seeing 4-5 hour encode times...

my buddy has a 8 core windows box and he does BR encodes really fast, but not sure if they are in the under 1 hour range....I want to say he told me it was almost 1 min for 1 min.....

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'd love 5 hour encodes---my poor 2.0 GHz C2D Mini struggles for about 8-10 hours encoding a typical blu-ray rip (2 hr movie) to 720p. :(