End of conservative Supreme Court: Clarence Thomas may be next to leave

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, Jun 19, 2016.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It's like everything that conservatives have worked so hard for since the Reagan years is crumbling under their feet. It seems that immediately upon taking office President Clinton will have to replace two conservative SCOTUS justices. Kennedy is also almost 80 now so I'm sure he's eyeing retirement soon too. By the end of President Clinton's term, SCOTUS could have a 7-2 liberal majority for decades.

Who would have ever thought that electing a bag of Cheetos (who STILL hasn't begun his general election campaign, is broke, and has like zero staff on the ground) as your candidate in one of the most crucial election years in recent history would come back to bite you in the ass?

Now...shall we discuss those attacks on Roe v. Wade that red states have been working so hard to pass? How bout them bathroom laws North Carolina? Gun control anyone? :D

Link

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Dude, get real. It's happening and you know it damn well.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you better hope cause trump may try to get someone who thinks aliens came from mars or climate change was caused my martians. with his track record of appointees

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when Adele signs, not before.

6. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

The thing is, even if @jkcerda's wet dream about Clinton being indicted were to come true, someone with a D next to their name would still win the election. The fact is, there are more registered Democratic voters than Republicans. That essentially gives us veto power over any candidate Republicans nominate if we don't like them. Republicans need to elect someone who Democrats can get behind if they want to win a general election, but they seem to be going the opposite direction. Therefore, we won't have a Republican in the White House for a very very very very very long time.

As for Trump, he can't even get majority support from Republicans (who themselves are a minority), nevermind a majority of Americans.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I don't think Trump has been NAMED the actual GOP nominee as of yet, then again it's fathers day and I am at freaking work so I might have missed it :mad:
    --- Post Merged, Jun 19, 2016 ---
    I like wet dreams, that one I could live with, ANYONE but Hillary, even another Dem works for me.

8. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

If the RNC tries to throw him overboard at the convention all hell will break loose. It will be even more catastrophic than just letting Trump lose to Hillary.

That sucks. :(

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If this is true, it dramatically raises the stakes for the election. But I can't find another source for this, other than the Washington Examiner's "court watchers," whoever they are.

10. SusanK macrumors 68000

Thomas should not have been on SCOTUS. Good riddance!

11. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I doubt he would make the official announcement before the election.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I thought he elected himself? ya worked many times on fathers day. but last year my daughter took my to lunch but it was more like she invited herself to our usual Sunday brunch and I paid for myself (G)

13. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yeah wasn't he a little rapey or something? I know there was some kind of scandal related to that, but I was just a tiny little rainbow baby when he was nominated.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Would love it if it happened
    3-8. Just 5 hours. Going home

15. SusanK, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016

SusanK macrumors 68000

Ultra conservative perv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Hill

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Let hell break loose I say. Our political system needs that kind of shake up.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Hopefully the democrats get ahold of the Senate this election. Otherwise we will be down to a 7 member Supreme Court for the next 8 years, or until it goes down to 6. If anyone thinks a Republican Senate will confirm a Clinton nominee they must be smoking something pretty good. The Republicans will say that we have to wait for the voters to have their say in 2020 followed by 2024.

18. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

From what I've been reading if Clinton wins chances are the Senate is flipping back to Democratic control as well

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I hope so, and that does coincide with what I've read. But when it comes down to it I can see a lot of Republicans not voting for Trump but still turning out to vote in a Republican Senate as a counter to president Clinton. And if that happens we will see the same problems getting nominees approved as Obama has had.

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Everyone does realize that Clinton will nominate Obama to the Supreme Court, right?

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the guy who signed indefinite detention w/o trial as a SCOTUS judge, that would be the biggest mistake ever.

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why is this such a shocker? It's the way of all flesh.

Nothing's forever.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd imagine Michele would throttle him if he even pondered that gig

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt it, but it would be great to see the Republican's reaction when they gave up the opportunity to confirm a moderate judge and end up with Obama instead.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader