End of the line for Roger Ailes. Fox News future?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jul 19, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

According to the New York Times Roger Ailes is negotiating his departure as Chairman of Fox News.

In the big scheme of things, I see this as a far more significant development than any of the comedy routines playing out in Cleveland this week.

Two things to understand:

1) Ailes has been a Republican operative since the days of the Nixon Administration. And, to give credit where credit is due, he managed to make Fox News a huge cash cow for the Murdoch media empire.

2) He is also roundly loathed by Rupert Murdoch's sons Lachlan and James. I personally attended an event in London back in 2008 hosted by one of the Murdoch family and witnessed first hand the intense embarrassment the second generation felt over Fox News.

That said, I don't expect Fox News to turn overnight into a cable TV version of Mother Jones. Fox has created a highly profitable business model pandering to old white American men. And in many respects the rating this demographic brings underpins a host of 21st Century Fox' businesses in the United States. Personally liberal or progressive as Lachlan and James Murdoch might be, they aren't going to jeopardize a billion dollar annual cash cow.

But I do anticipate a gradual easing off of some of the more egregious partisanship of Fox News. And - long term - I think this may turn out to be a good thing for both the Murdoch media empire, and journalism in general. To say nothing of the future of the human race.

The fact that Ailes downfall was ultimately precipitated by his (alleged) sexual harassment of a former Fox News personality ought to come as no surprise to anybody.

Fox News has more than a little blood on its hands.

2. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

I did not have sexual relations with that woman........No wait, I really didn't............

3. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks of proving - once again - my hypothesis that when talking to American conservatives, on literally any subject, its only a matter of time before you hear about Monica Lewinski's cocktail dress.

The intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the American right is, at this stage, a combination of comedy and pathos. And I'm not sure which is worse.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Good riddance.

I'm just surprised he didn't step down last week so he could run as Trump's VP.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Because the American left is synonymous with virtue, honesty and transparency. :rolleyes:

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

When has the American left claimed that?

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's interesting how Brian Williams is slowly pushing Rachel Maddow out of the limelight.