End of the Road for Jeremy Clarkson?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 10, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended for apparently throwing a punch at a producer.

Clarkson has been no stranger to controversy: Apparently he was warned for using a racist term after building a bridge in Thailand; for using a provocative license plate in Argentina; and for comparing a travel trailer to someone with a facial deformity.

Personally, I think that Britain has a bit of a problem with political correctness run amok. (See John Terry).

Top Gear is one of the most popular TV shows in the world, and while Clarkson can be obnoxious at times, he doesn't really seem to be either evil or deliberately racist.

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

His racism is *entirely* deliberate. Beneath the comedic Mr Toad meets golf club Little Englander exterior is a bleeding heart liberal, I reckon.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We'd all be sacked for gross misconduct for throwing a punch at work. He has to go.

----------

I agree, but that doesn't extend to physical violence.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

BBC has been looking for a reason to get rid of him for a while IMO, this simply makes it easy for them.

I'm bored of the PC brigade, so he's a beacon of reason, but if he's hit someone it's game over.
    He nailed the peugoet cliché last week though ;0)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

the Peugeot joke was pretty funny.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I tried to watch the US version, good lords was it awful. I mostly dislike Clarkson's onscreen personality, but at least he has one. The Americans might as well be blanc mange trying to explain cars to Angus Podgornaigh.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is on netflix. The family showed me what I was missing. A little goes a long way, but, they do have their moments.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The greatest TV show.......IN THE WORLD

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Nah, you're thinking of Monty Python.
    :D

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

Punching someone because they haven't sorted your lunch isn't anything to do with political correctness, whats your point about the "PC Brigade"

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What have been really interesting is if he had not sold his 50 percent stake in TOP GEAR to the BBC a couple years ago.

I think we can expect to see the show or something similar move to ITV because this has now gone too far and too high up for the BBC to back down.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think we do spend a lot of time ***** footing around offence. Why wasn't Kayne Wests performance of "All Day" broadcast in full at the BRIT awards? Why was Benedict Cumberbact criticised for using an inappropriate word to make a point in support of black actors?

14. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

If Jeremy Clarkson really assaulted somebody, then its a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service. If he tried to injure someone, then he deserves to not only lose his job, but also face criminal prosecution.

But I'd be lying if I didn't suspect the BBC of seizing upon a relatively harmless workplace dispute as a means of breaking Clarkson's contract.

The sad thing is, the joke will ultimately be on them. Because without Clarkson, Top Gear is pretty much worthless.

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Your mixing words to make your own sentence - its like saying what do Mac books have to do with fruit.

JC is great because he says it how it is. <----- Note the full stop.
    If he's hit someone that not acceptable, i made that very clear.

I don't see anyone saying violence is acceptable, but why would YOU link PC and violence together? You're just out for a virtual fight/argument on the internet.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

Why did you say "I'm fed up of the PC brigade"?

The pc brigade have nothing to do with the fact that he's lamped someone.

Additionally I don't think racist comments are a bane of the PC brigade, they're unacceptable.

----------

I don't know why Kanye West's performance wasn't broadcast?

Benedict Cumberbatch messed up, got called out, and handled it exactly like it should be handled. No-one called him up on what he was saying, just the phrasing he used, which harked back to an England past where phrasing like that was acceptable, it simply isn't anymore. But he did the right thing with an apology and an explanation..... And actually I respect him for that a lot more than JC for his racists comments, who uses them as a joke, and then goes on TV to make faux aplologies because he's told too...... I'm saying that and I watch top gear religiously, JC does it to get ratings, in exactly the way KT Hopkins chats rubbish to get herself noticed.

17. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Really - you need more explanation?
    I was more than clear PC has nothing to do with violence. (twice)

JC traits or style is non, PC, we need more of this. Not to the point of racism, sexism and IMO thats not what he's about. Yes I've seen the clips, MPO is that's not what he was intending in the same way as buying a car that had a number plate attached to it was NOT a direct reference to 1982.

You could pick any of his many rants, most have a foundation in truth - cyclist, i work in the city of london. The number of times I've been hit or nearly knocked over by them is unreal. Yet the cycling lobbyists portray cyclists as victims and car drivers are evil. Cyclists run the red lights, weave through traffic ride on the pavement.
    M4, Red Ken conned off the outside lanes of the M4 for buses and taxis creating traffic hell.
    Im pretty sure he accused the BBC of only hiring blacks or lesbians - it was found the BBC did have a pro discrimination policy, but any discrimination is wrong. EVERYTHING should be on merit, not colour or sex.

I'm bored with this, i don't want to argue.

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I watched my first top gear episode the other day (Reinventing the ambulance), and it was absolutely hilarious. I guess that even if they cancel the show, there will still be plenty of old episodes to watch

19. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

I would agree with this. A tough choice either way, but it would ultimately be a case of cutting nose to spite face if this is the end of Clarkson and Top Gear as we know it. More so if you consider that the Sunday night show is only part of a wider Top Gear brand which encompasses films, magazines, toys and live shows which must equate to significant revenues for the BBC.

Richard Hammond and James May have more than ably demonstrated on their own shows that they are very good presenters in their own right. However and taking nothing away from them, on Top Gear, it is Clarkson that makes the trio greater than the sum of its parts (you only have to watch any one of the Top Gear country specials to appreciate this).

Permission to say... Cock!

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IIRC, May and Hammond have said in the past that either the 3 of them host or none of them host, so if Jeremy's gone, I can assume they'll be gone too.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source for traffic hell?

22. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This a hundred times over. Clarkson is a very talented and very funny man who sometimes takes it a bit far. The BBC can be a complete stickler and fun spoiler at times.

Something needs to be worked out here.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think they might change their minds given this isn't exactly the first time it has been an issue.

----------

Right, because when actual evidence has been gathered it shows the M4 bus lane actually improved traffic flow...

----------

How can a fight ever be acceptable at work?

25. numlock macrumors 68000

what about him?

how did that one go?