Enemy Territory for the Mac!!! Woot!!!!

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
That's right guys, we finally have it, just released yesterday...totally from out of nowhere!

Incase no one knows what this is, Enemy Territory is a FREE FULL version of Return to Castle Wolfenstein...well I hope most of you have heard of this fantastic game!!

Here is the release announcement:
SplashDamage (scroll down, page doesn't seem to be mac friendly...

The DL at their downloads page didn't seem to be working, but a simple look in the forums gives other places to get it...
SD forum...

I'm a very happy guy...

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
Wait - "free"? As in, "nothing in life is free"? "Here you go, don't worry about it, it's on me" free?

You know, I'm so unused to seeing that word, I'm not even sure if I spelled it right...

Patriotsv4

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2004
I downloaded it and it runs OK on my Mini(default) at medium settings. I only played it for a little bit though.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I can confirm that it works without RTCW.

Not that well on my Dual 1 Ghz, 9000 pro (64 meg) though.

Call of Duty puts it in its place.

Richter

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
FL
zimtheinvader said:
are you sure? for PC I'm pretty sure Enemy Territory was a free expansion pack (neccessitating the original RTCW)
nope, it's always been a free, full fledged game

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
another mirror: http://files.filefront.com/Enemy_Territory_Full_Mac_Install_v260/;3830839;;/fileinfo.html

Filefront servers are free, no registration required, little of no wait, and fast.

I wasn't so lucky with ET install. First all the files and folders were locked after I installed the game. After that, I tried to start the game and got an error saying: default.cfg could not be found." to fix that problem I copied the default.cfg from CoD to Et finally got to play.

When I play, I get a lot of choppiness. My frames will sometimes drop down in the single digits. I lowered my graphics settings and still got the same thing. I will try a different server later and see if still happens.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
This is the single best news of the day! This game rocks! Does this mean we can play against PC and Linux users with no trouble? Has anyone had cross-platform issues?

shortyjj

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2004
TDM21 said:
When I play, I get a lot of choppiness. My frames will sometimes drop down in the single digits. I lowered my graphics settings and still got the same thing. I will try a different server later and see if still happens.
oh no, i also have a 12" rev. c. guess it's no download for me.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
OK, what you've gotta do is download the file wolfet_2.60.dmg rather than Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2.60.dmg so find a mirror with this first link rather than the second. If you downloaded the second link, I'm pretty sure it'll never work so you've just gotta re-download it.

BTW, I've been playing this a little and my ping is undeniably great but it is soooooo choppy it's not funny. If I didn't have the bandwidth advantage over the others, I wouldn't be able to play AT ALL! Otherwise, it's the greatest game ever and full kudos to the guy who ported it. :)

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
for all those having trouble with default.cfg just open TextEdit and save a blank file as default.cfg in WT's etmain folder. You first have to save is as a .RTF file then you can change the extention. Make sure you check to see if the folder is unlocked, mine wasn't.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
JzzTrump22 said:
I can't even download a working copy. Which link is everyone downloading from?
Have you tried the ones in the thread? They all work for me. Otherwise, just do a quick search on Google. You should be able to find one close to your ISP pretty easily. :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i downloaded it and installed it. it's a lot of fun and runs well on my computer at 1024x768 mostly medium settings; i had it at 1152x854 high settings but it was a slideshow walking around lol. i do wish there was like a slight single player part; even a training mode but hey, it's free so i can't complain