Energy Saving watching Vídeos on MB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by npx-photo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. npx-photo macrumors newbie

Maybe a strange question, but anyway: I have to do a several hours flight without a chance to charge my 15" MacBook Pro (actual version, i7). As I want to watch some videos while the flight: what is the best way to watch videos in the aspect of energy saving? CD-ROM (disadvantage: the drive?), Hard-disk (also the drive?), USB stick? Maybe some of you have some experience about that....... All videos are in AVI format, so I could use any kind of storage.

Best regards
    Norbert
    www.npx-photo.com

2. calumn macrumors newbie

I would say hard drive is the best - but not 100% sure.

Otherwise, beforehand turn off everything like airport, bluetooth, close all apps, use the trackpad with no mouse, remove the backlit keyboard feature (turn it down), turn down the brightness to save energy until you feel it wont ruin your movie.

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Probably hard drive but i'm not sure. using the USB drive may let the HDD go to sleep but i'm not sure. Definitely not CDROM though.

Also make sure you have gfxCardStatus and set it to Intel Only. I'm pretty sure the intel card can handle the playback fine and it will give you some extra battery life. Of course I don't know how the file is encoded or what resolution it is so the playback may be stuttery...in that case you can just let the MBP choose the 330m.