Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
I was pointed to this in another thread about the new macbook. I can't believe how harsh they were towards the white uni model. Their criticisms include:

-No price drop
-Scratches easily: "t scratches like crazy. Seriously -- all we've really done with our review unit is take it out of the box, snap some photos, and move it around the office for a day, and the top looks like it's been attacked by a bear."
-Rubberized bottom discolors and shows dirt easily.
-Dim lcd display: "We didn't notice the difference in day-to-day usage, but we did notice that it's rather dim -- to the point where we initially assumed the max brightness setting was only halfway up. It's still a nice screen, don't get us wrong; we just wish it was a little brighter."
-Dropping of firewire and lack of other features.
-Lack of blu-ray: "[W]hile we've sort of given up expecting it, it's hard not to notice that lots of other thousand-dollar laptops have BD drives."

While they did mention things the did like about the machine, like the unibody design, improved color gamut of lcd display, glass trackpad, keyboard, and new magsafe connector, their overall conclusion was less than glowing:

"There's just no reason to skimp and get the MacBook if you can manage to get the Pro."

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/unibody-macbook-late-2009-review/

MacrosTheBlack

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
I think someone at Engadget is a fail. The screen looks amazing and I haven't had any scratches on my case nor discoloring/dirt on the rubber bottom. I've had my machine since Wednesday and couldn't be happier.

People need to get over lack of FireWire. That technology is dead people.

thefaceless

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
England, UK
While I won't touch the FireWire issue (I don't need it, but I appreciate why some people do), on the rest of the issues (especially the scratching and engadget's chipped USB ports) the rest of the reviews (Slashgear's and gizmodo's) make it look like engadget are just being drama queens.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
Slashgear pointed out the same shortcomings on the uni macbook, but advised to buy it unless you needed the options on the pro.

Gizmodo noted the lack of firewire and scratching issue, but failed to notice the dimness of the lcd and other deficiencies that Engadget did. They declared that this is the best time to buy a macbook "knowing that you'll get the same performance as a machine that costs $200 more."

On an unrelated note, the prior generation macbook is not listed on the apple refurbished section. :rolleyes:

And an even more unrelated one, I'll have to check out the Gizmodo piece about making a dell mini 10v into a hackbook mini.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I hate how the pros are all glass and black keys I love the new white macbook and could careless what reviews say what matters is what I think.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Engadget were pretty scathing of the machine and they are quite right, its a POS and its a boring machine.

Firewire isn't dead, just FW400 okay?

Once Light Peak is standard, it won't matter, I'm not buying another machine from Apple until the laptops are quad-core and have Light Peak anyway.

But the Macbook is crap.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not buying another machine from Apple until the laptops are quad-core and have Light Peak anyway.
Nice knowing you... see you around!

Endgadget are just idiot techie-nerds. Totally unrepresentative of the rest of the mac buying world. They pissed and moaned about the former whitebook and it's been Apple's biggest seller.

But they're probably playing right into Apple's plans anyway... the more bad reviews this thing gets the more MBP's get sold.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The macbook is far from crap and is a very solid entry level mac.
I have had a few starting at the 1.83 and never had a issue I wish i could say that about the Air.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Nice knowing you... see you around!

I meant I'm not going to gain anything from buying a machine at the moment, and will happily wait till the next generation technologies are available. I'm holding onto what I got, no point buying any new FW devices in either iteration. You can't be telling me it won't happen, its not unreasonable to wait for such technologies, its sensible.

It's also more of a question whether you'll be sticking around, you've barely been here a year. ;)

Endgadget are just idiot techie-nerds. Totally unrepresentative of the rest of the mac buying world. They pissed and moaned about the former whitebook and it's been Apple's biggest seller.

We piss and moan at Microsoft and it makes $$$, whats your point? You can still point out flaws in a product, nothing is perfect, this version of the MB has taken a step backwards IMO.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
You can't be telling me it won't happen, its not unreasonable to wait for such technologies, its sensible.

Why not just buy "what you need" when you need it. There's a novel idea.

It's also more of a question whether you'll be sticking around, you've barely been here a year.
What make you think I've only been here a year? Do you think (maybe) I haven't always used this moniker?

We piss and moan at Microsoft and it makes $$$,
Ah... so you're one of those, "I-hate-the-success-of-MS-therefore-Apple-is-better" fanboys (I should've known).

I actually applaud the success of MS - it only makes Apple work harder. And I doubt Steve Jobs brags about the fact that when he sits in a Starbucks with 9 other people, he's the only one using a mac. :D

asphyxiafeeling

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Cali baby!
Pretty harsh, but i think it's merited.

Apple usually gets very positive reviews for their products, and always gets good press. I think a lot of it is well deserved, but other times they get a positive spin on something that would have been called "average" if it had come from say, Dell.

This kind of constructive criticism in the press (tech press, haha) is good for everybody. Maybe Apple will heed some of their advice!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Why not just buy "what you need" when you need it. There's a novel idea.

What make you think I've only been here a year? Do you think (maybe) I haven't always used this moniker?

Ah... so you're one of those, "I-hate-the-success-of-MS-therefore-Apple-is-better" fanboys (I should've known).

I actually applaud the success of MS - it only makes Apple work harder. And I doubt Steve Jobs brags about the fact that when he sits in a Starbucks with 9 other people, he's the only one using a mac. :D

First I have what I need, I also like to think long term about what I might need in the future.

Second I made an assumption on my part if you have been here longer than a year then well done, or something. But before you scold me, it mirrors your assumption that i'm one of those MS haters.

Third, well done on ignoring that attempt at humour. It was only a joke so lighten up.

Fourth, I'm not an MS hater for this discussion, I was merely pointing out that no product is perfect and many people have been critical of MS and they are on a winner as well.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I've always admired Engadget for their honest reviews. I get the feeling, if I were to buy a MacBook, those would be all the things I'd be thinking when my display won't go bright enough etc.

I really think all you Apple fans need to reel it in a little and see Apple for what they truly are - and when something's a bit crap, admit it! Seeing the bad points is the only way something gets better.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I really think all you Apple fans need to reel it in a little and see Apple for what they truly are - and when something's a bit crap, admit it! Seeing the bad points is the only way something gets better.

Totally.

Engadget is usually biased in Apple's favour, so it is nice to see this honest review. When I checked out the new MacBooks in person yesterday, I felt similarly. The display units were in pretty good shape, though.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
My father in law just got it and wow I really like it. It has a good feel and it's a great macbook.

No offense but I'd value your comments more highly if it was your MacBook, not your father-in-law's, and you hadn't 'just got it'.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
all review online has their own personal opinions or taste. so some of you might argue with them. I don't care about review. what important thing is that I'd better go to store for checking it out. if I like it, yeah, it's all sweet. if it's not, it's not. anyway, this time macbook is not really a good buy excepting price point. in order to drop or keep the same price point, its package is crap, and something is missing. in hardware, you can't see firewire, even SD card slot. Apple removed infrared sensor for remote control. so you can't use old remote or new one. screen seem very blueish compared to macbook pro. it's still plastic no matter what. so it will get lots of scratches anyway. even I have enough money to buy that, I will pass it this time.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
People need to get over lack of FireWire. That technology is dead people.

I don't understand why people keep saying that, no its clearly is NOT. FW 800 is on many devices, and is very common in Apple's line up. Other then the MacBook, its just as common as FW 400 was back in the PPC days.

Lack of FW is one big thing holding me back from the new MacBook

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Original poster
One thing I did find interesting was an opinion at the very end of the gizmodo unibody macbook review:

"But keep in mind, this development basically implies that the MacBook Pros will be getting the Core i5 and i7 processors some time in the next year."

The most obvious recent example I could think of was when they upped the cpu and gpu specs of the macbook in early 09 and matched what was in the base model macbook pro for $300 more.

My question is will apple put some features back into the macbook after the macbook pros have corequads? Or could you see the top end mbp's getting the new chips, 13" mbp's getting higher speced core 2 duos's and the macbook staying pretty much the way it is now?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i saw it in person and i agree with all those comments, especially the screen, my first instinct was to hit f2. the model i saw was on a thursday, it had been on the floor for maybe a day, the top was scratched to hell and the bottom was dirty and discolored. that computer shouldn't cost more than $700

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
i saw it in person and i agree with all those comments, especially the screen, my first instinct was to hit f2. the model i saw was on a thursday, it had been on the floor for maybe a day, the top was scratched to hell and the bottom was dirty and discolored. that computer shouldn't cost more than $700

If that is the case then $700 is even too much.

I'm not sure what to think about Engadget's review. I think it's time to look to another site to determine whether or not that's some lame reviewer's opinion or if it is the consensus.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

Just asking: Do you think that that day on the show floor was user created damage or just normal open, play, close, open, play?

I really want a laptop, and I've been leaning towards an :apple: laptop, but I'd rather get a pro anyhow.

Im just curious on your opinion of the complaints Engadget brought up in this review, seeing as you are an independent opinion. I havent seen them in stores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.