Engadget's review of the 13" rMBP is up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CausticPuppy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I love how a plethora of Engadget readers don't understand how retina works.
    :rolleyes:

2. Trubbles macrumors regular

3. Silmarien macrumors member

Whats worse you sat, read through and actually quoted them..

4. CausticPuppy thread starter macrumors 65816

It's interesting that the XBench score (with the iGPU) actually beat the 2011 Macbook Pro with the dGPU (AMD Radeon).

They probably didn't mention the underpowered GPU because for day to day use it's not actually underpowered at all-- unless you need to play the latest games or you do a lot of A/V work.

5. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

See: "Pro User"

6. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Wow--how true--nothing could be further from the truth as far as what a retina screen really looks like.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I would bet that the 13in rMBP would be more than adequate for over 90% of professionals.

Pro doesn't have to be gaming (and besides, if you're a legitimate pro gamer, you're going to have an actual beefed up, custom-built tower), nor does it have to be video editing. It could be engineers, lawyers, doctors, athletes, artists, magicians, scientists, educators, nurses, social workers... the list goes on.

Clearly gaming and video editing (which you can still do, mind you) are in the minority of professionals.

8. Maczor macrumors regular

I second this. People just like to blow things out of proportion: "Oohh, will 2 cores and 8gb of memory be enough for my needs? My oh, my..." For the waste majority, it will be plenty.

9. CausticPuppy thread starter macrumors 65816

So, the only professions in the world are the ones related to video and photography?

The irony is that most people think a "professional" laptop needs a fast GPU because.... gaming.

I have a Playstation 3 Professional for that.

As for me, the lowly 13" will be nearly twice as fast as my 2009 MBP for CPU-intensive work, and considerably faster than my 2009's discrete GPU as well. The discrete GPU that I rarely use because of the effect on battery life and skin-scorching heat it produces.

I'll leave the heavy lifting to my quad-core mini, my laptop isn't my primary machine.

10. Trubbles macrumors regular

XBench is not a test of 3D.

This site hates us casual gamers.

I work all day, but if I'm in a hotel at night, I want to be able to play games! Why is that so much to ask on a $2200 laptop (13" + i7 = $2200..)?

And to those who say I should just "make do" with the HD4000 - I refuse to buy a $2200 computer to just settle for good enough...

In the mean time, I'll be sitting in my corner waiting for Haswell. iGPU in Haswell is supposed to be a 100% boost over HD4000. Now that might actually be a "compromise" I can live with.

11. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

This Engadget review just made me order a 13" non-Retina $1399 model (using my girlfriend's student discount). I am going to refuse the Retina display model when it arrives tomorrow via FedEx.

The geek in me was very excited, but logically speaking - I am getting SO MUCH MORE for so much less. That screen is not worth giving up the hard disk space (I'm a heavy iTunes user), and I don't think the weight different is that great. (I lift, for the love of God)

Anyway, thanks for sharing this. Made my decision.

12. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Just because a notebook computer is expensive, that doesn't mean it must do everything. If gaming is a priority, get a capable computer. It's pretty simple.

And by the way, most of the GPU improvements for Haswell are for the ULV chip. Every year, Intel speaks of phenomenal improvements in GPU performance but never live up to it.

13. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Why doesn't anyone consider the VAIO Z? Quad core i7, and only 1.1kg. Sound is crp, but its a great machine all around otherwise. Engadget once again doesn't even mention it.

14. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Honestly I was hoping the 13" RMBP would be a bit more like the Vaio Z. The base specs are about the same (other than the display of course), but the $1999 option that gets you the 256GB SSD but the same processor seems like a bad deal. The Vaio Z packs in a quad core for similar money.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The "Pro" in MacBook Pro is just marketing doing their job.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Profit
    Reaping
    Overkill

17. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I love engadget's reviews! Always so comprehensive.

And as for lack of info on HD4000 graphics - trust me they are enough to watch 1080p seamlessly and no lag in the interface

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

h.264 playback is a walk in the park when Ivy Bridge now supports 4K.

19. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I don't really agree, besides the benchmarks there isn't much in there you couldn't learn from Apple's introduction event as well. I think it's pretty 'mainstream', for lack of a better word. Not that that's bad, engadget is a mainstream site and their reviews are factually correct (and any deeper content would probably bore their audience). I just wouldn't call them comprehensive :)

For one I would love to see if the sRGB gamut is as good as the 15" one (especially because Apple didn't mention any numbers at all this time where they took every opportunity to boast about it when they introduced the 15"). And some noise measurements under different loads, power drain figures under different circumstances. Maybe some background on how the new design is internally different, speculation about the reason of the peculiar container (and empty space!) of the SSD.

I personally greatly prefer Anandtech (and also Ars Technica) reviews. I'm sure they will cover all these things.

20. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

I would've waited until you actually saw the screen before making the decision. Not saying your decision was wrong or anything, but some (if not a lot of people) have decided the premium price is worth it after their jaw dropped during extended use...

Of course if you already experienced it ignore my rant.. ;)

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

indeed and ars even makes it easier for the casual user to know what its getting, anandtech reviews (not from anand) would confuse that same user either with lack of information or too much