(England/Wales) Have You Voted Today?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robbieduncan, May 1, 2008.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If not get out there and do it!

And if you're in London please make the correct choice....

Anyone but Ken

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I have and I did. :)

At least now I can say this pillock did not get my vote if somebody else gets into power. :)

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nope, I haven't - no local elections in my area today.

Glad I'm not eligible to vote in London, though - while I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed with the OP, the alternatives............ :eek:, well, like I said, I'm glad I'm not a Londoner today.... ;)

4. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really? I was under the mistaken assumption that there were local elections everywhere. And yes, the alternatives to Ken aren't great but I really don't want more of the same. If there had been a checkbox for "Anyone but Ken" that would have transferred my vote as required to get rid of him I'd have had that...

Next up: getting rid of George Galloway :eek: as my MP

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think we have local elections here.

What even Boris?

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Check…
    and… err… Check.
    ;)

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There are elections on?

If that is true then the local MPs should be ashamed as there has been absolutely no advertising to the student population here.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Local elections as well as London Mayor and Assembly…
    Link

9. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Especially Boris: he has the best chance of defeating Ken. He might appear to be a little crazy, but underneath he has got good ideas.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah just looking into it, apparently there are local elections here, I suspect they will blame voter apathy in the student population but as I said previously there has been no campaigning here which is a quite shocking. In previous years I knew elections were on because of signs/adverts and campaigners but not this year.

Where I am registered to vote the party that I would vote for has a ridiculous margin (~10x second) so that is not a problem.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ There really are no elections here, after I checked the website.

No campaigning at all is a little poor.

12. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Local government elections are strange - each borough or district has it's own rules on when they take place.

Sometimes the entire amount of council seats is elected in one go, once every four years; and in other places one-third of the seats are up for grabs every year, with a one year gap after the whole council has been elected.

13. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Like what? The only idea he seems to have is to replace the bendy buses with a new Routemaster, which isnt very feasible as they haven't been designed yet, and so no-one can really accurately cost how much they'd cost.

I voted Ken. Not because I particularly like him, but he's managed the city well, London is much better developed then it has been for a long time (think what Trafalgar Square was like 10 years ago), and he's competent.

All Boris has ever done is goto public school and edit a mediocre right-wing magazine. Not the stuff mayors are really made of.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I was going to ask the same thing. I haven't been back for a while, but Ken seems to have done an ok job. I liked red newty Ken back in the day... But Boris? He's a complete prat.

15. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I don't live in London, so the Ken vs. Boris thing doesn't really bother me. If I had to make a choice, I suppose it would be "better the devil you know".

However, Boris did say something once (or it was said about him, not sure which):

That did make me chuckle.

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nope - for some reason our area always tends to be out of step. Dunno why, but there ya go....

hahahahahaha - yep, I'll go along with that

Yikes! Red Ken and Galloway in the same conversation. Scaaaaaary! :D:p

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Negative voting makes too much sense.

That's why it will never be allowed to happen.

:rolleyes:

18. djellison macrumors 68020

Wow - I was expecting Labour to get bitch-slapped - but not quite as much as they have. Is GB really in a tenable situation with such a damning turn out?

Party +/- Total +/- Total
    CON 146 1976 8 45
    LAB -163 1572 -6 14

Projected national vote share: Tories 44%, Lib Dems 25%, Labour 24%

Surely he has to call a general election after a public vote of ZERO confidence like that? Sadly - there wasn't a local election here in Leicester, we have a large Lab. majority in our council - I would hope that would return to the NOC it was previously.

DOug

19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

What you find though is that many folk who change their allegiances for local council elections – voting for one of the other main parties as a bit of a protest – revert back to type when it comes to general elections.

Wasn't that Whittington chap standing for the London Mayoral elections, then? :confused:

20. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I really dislike this form of 'protest'. It isn't so much as a protest as it's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I presented a spoiled ballot.

Well, you're not going to have to try very hard for that. He's not running for it in BG&B. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Labour will get back in.

Though, quite why you'd want to get rid of a one of the few decent politicians we have left is beyond me. Labour and Conservative are treading pretty much the same ground.

We're desperately short of people like George Galloway in this country, that's why the working class are suffering.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

Galloway is a lot of things. A decent politician is not one of them.

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That's what I've done in the past, although I'd much prefer a 'none of the above' option so voters can show their dissatisfaction with the choices presented to them, if they so wish.

Of course, you may very well end up with more people voting for 'nobody' than voting for whoever actually wins the poll, so I suspect this may never happen. ;)

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I voted. Much to the annoyance of a friend who says "it's voters who are ruining this country"... Yea.

24. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've always wanted that option. And I have a solution for that outcome. If "None of the above" wins then the entire current set of candidates get replaced with a fresh set until someone acceptable turns up. I don't think this would be required all that often. The people likely to vote this way are probably also those least inclined to vote in the first place.

25. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Rubbish, the man has won election after election. He's a superb politician and one of few that can hold their head high.

Exactly. The only way to do that at the moment is a spoiled ballot, even then it's not as powerful as voting for none of the above.