England's most influential politician dines with Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Feb 26, 2017.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Sooo.. he shouldn't have dinner with the President..?

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

What's the problem? Seriously asking.
    He's having dinner with the President.
    I am just glad it's not a selfie, shot in vertical. Now that would be shameful!

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I'm more shocked that people think Nigel Farage is our most influential politician lol. He's considered a nation joke I thought?

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, that's for you brits to decide?
    As for me, I am listening to Madness right now but that's how far I can go ;)

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I think many people confuse Brexit with people voting for Nigel Farage when viewed outside the UK. He was just the leader of a right wing party here that campaigned for Brexit but the vote focused on fundamental issues, not his influence or popularity.

As soon as Brexit was announced, he jumped ship and ran. He then surfaced at a Trump rally and extinguished much of his credibility, if there was much there in the first place.

Influential? Not really, he just joined the gravy train.

7. zin Suspended

He should really be our Ambassador to the United States. We'd get a heck of a post-Brexit trade deal with the United States.

8. Eraserhead, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Lol. Trump doesn't have friends. He'll be ruthless in any trade deal.

To be fair it would be wrong of him to do anything else.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

Memo to Trump; Farage; and presumably the sort of people that listen to their nonsense:

"The media" is not the enemy. You may certainly criticize certain segments of the media. And undoubtedly some products put out by various media companies and organizations leave a lot to be desired.

But picking a fight with "the media" is like picking a fight with gravity. Or parenthood. Or farming. "The media" is a natural outgrowth of human beings' very natural desire to know what is going on in the world. Items that may be of vital interest to them. Or simply satisfy their inborn curiosity. I rely on "the media" to tell me the scores of baseball and football games. The weather forecasts. To learn about the political and economic events going on in foreign countries. To give me reviews of restaurants, of movies and TV shows. To let me know if its worth my time and money on any of them.

"The Media" works, like any competitive free-enterprise industry, through a fairly reliable system of quality control. We quickly recognize which media outlets are likely to have reliable, truthful stories. And which do not. The Washington Post acts as a check on The New York Times which acts as a check on CNN. None of those organizations could put out a demonstrably false story, without the others picking up on that - and using it to their advantage in the competitive media marketplace.

Media outlets and reporters, like participants in any industry, sometimes make mistakes. And good, ethical ones regularly own up to their mistakes, and publish corrections:

The Media is not the enemy. Stop whining about media companies, and spend more time solving real problems, instead of deluding yourselves.

10. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Shhh! Someone's telling you what your nation thinks is important. Sheesh! ;)

Mind you he's a guy that pushed for Brexit, and now commonly looks for somewhere else to live. Even Germany ain't having him. :D

11. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68030

dogslobber

I think Mrs Farage is German so he's entitled to become a German national.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2017 ---
    If you go to England and speak to your typical chugger, they'll tell you he was the one who got Brexit to occur.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I am English and the type of people who think that are members of 'Britain First' or the 'EDL'. I am yet to actually meet anybody who likes Nigel Farage to be honest so I have no idea where your sources are from?

13. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68030

dogslobber

I think you're from where the Beatles come from. That's more Wales than England so perhaps you're not around the typical English pro-Farage mindset.

14. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

The common belief is that she is the ex Mrs Farage, so he isn't entitled to that anymore. Which is supposedly why he's been hanging around the states more often.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Nigel Farage is a clown in a side-show of British politics.

He's hardly the most influential UK politician.... He sure as h*** does not speak for most Scottish people.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I'm from Oxfordshire, it's doesn't get more conservative than that. In fact it's central England 70 miles north of London and has more than its fair share of racial fear.

I live in Wales now, but my family and roots are very English with half a dose of Northern Irish. I think I am well aware of Farage and his followers mindsets. What part of the UK are you from?

P.S I think Scousers would be pretty offended it you referred to them as Welsh much like north Walians hate being referred to as Scousers. A word to the wise there. Liverpool is firmly in England.

17. weckart macrumors 601

Two problems there: First dual nationality is in Germany only permitted to EU citizens and Farage campaigned for Brexit, which means that Britons after 2019 will have to surrender their UK citizenship before naturalisation. Second, spouses of German nationals have to have had a minimum of three years continuous residency in Germany before becoming eligible for naturalisation and Farage has apparently been playing away from home so...

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

These days when I think of Farage I'm reminded of that ad campaign he tried to run, with an image that copied an old Nazi propaganda poster.

A vile man.

19. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Put it like this, I know enough about Liverpool to know that Gary Linaker is the best striker ever to have played for a club in that area,

20. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Basically this.

21. weckart macrumors 601

Breaking out the popcorn right now.

22. Zenithal macrumors 603

Is there ever a photo of Farage without his mouth ajar like a guppy?

23. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I hardly know this politician but he always looks like he just had a good joke in his head that nobody else gets.

I make these faces too. Having a Jim Carrey face can be funny to others but it's also super inconvenient if you are trying to be taken seriously.

24. Zenithal macrumors 603

You lost me at Jim Carrey. Are you talking about his facial reaction in Mask or that god movie? Farage is not photogenic but he also can't really conduct himself in public either. I've been following him for the better part of a decade.

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Most of his movies include a wide barrage of rubber like expressions. I suffer from this. It's like the exact opposite of resting b**** face. Anything I'm thinking will be written all over my face, literally. I can conduct myself in public but my facial expressions can ruin any seriousness I'm attempting to portray unless I force myself to concentrate on staying passive.

I don't know much about Farage. So I'm curious in what ways can he not conduct himself in public?