England's 'Stand Your Ground' law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, May 2, 2019.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad the home owner was cleared of any wrongdoing.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

The guy ran into the knife. It isn't exactly a stand your ground since it's shaky at best. It's like when Frank Corti beat the living **** out of a home burgler. Granted he was a retired semi-pro boxer.

3. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

This has nothing at all to do with "Stand Your Ground".

Neither did the Trayvon Martin case, by the way, although everyone seems to mistakenly think so.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Stand your ground isn’t a thing in your own private domicile. You have the full right to use deadly force against an intruder in your home with no duty to retreat even if you had the opportunity. It’s known as the castle doctrine. A five second google search would’ve told you this. Please do your research next time

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

6. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

If in the course of standing my ground and defending myself, I injure the attacker to the point where he is no longer a serious threat, is it lawful for me to continue striking/shooting him just because I can? For example, after the attacker is down and writhing in pain, can I then shoot his kneecaps, blow off his fingers, fire a few rounds between his legs, stick a knife in his eyes, and then bash his bead in with a baseball bat, all while claiming "I felt threatened" or "I feared for my life"?

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Yeah that’s one screwed up mindset over there that I hope Americans don’t catch.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1 go for it
    2 you bet
    3 man you are a good shot and must have a large capacity magazine
    4 why not at the legs? Don’t forget the spare mags
    5 screwdriver also works
    6 crowbar work too
    7 indeed you can . Just claim that you read on the Internet that it was legal for you to do so and The jury is going to absolve you of all your crimes.....

1-7. NO.

Some of you apparently have no idea what sarcasm is

9. VictorTango777, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

This is something the NRA does not want Americans to hear about, because the home owner was able to successfully defend himself, even kill the attacker, without using a gun. NRA and American police want people to believe that the only way they can defend themselves is with their gun, even if the attacker is unarmed. And they must always empty their entire mag into a person, even after the person is down. If you don't have a gun, you should just roll over and let yourself be killed.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck. Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight. You guys can by all means just hand over what the criminals want

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It sounds like German law requires an investigation. I think that’s OK.

From the article I support the army mans actions.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m pretty sure this is a precedent for British law not just in England. The article doesn’t just highlight one country out of the four.

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

They do, but there is a very real possibility that he could face jail time due to him using a knife to protect his home and family. There have been cases in Germany where people have been jailed over what they deem excessive force.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think the onus is on the person to prove they’ve defended themselves rather than killing a fleeing thief. I’m on the homeowners side in this case but others have included robbers being shot in the back and that crosses the line.

Thieves could avoid all this by not being scum who rob people of course.

16. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

If only it could be extended to TV licence scum bags.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

England is not taking after Florida.

The 78-year old homeowner was arrested after the incident, and spent time in a police station while the investigation was conducted. Her was charged with murder by the police, and was cleared of wrongdoing by a coroner's inquest.

UK law gives everyone the right to defend one's home and property, provided it is done reasonably. One may not exercise excessive violence, or act out of revenge. One may use lethal force if there is reason to believe one's life and safety are at risk.

But you aren't allowed to shoot kids who have been vandalising your garage or your car. You can't shoot someone who knocks on your door in the middle of the night. And you can't shoot someone who just smashed the window of your car in the driveway. You cannot stab someone who bumps you, even intentionally, in a nightclub or pub.

If someone ends up dead or injured because of your actions, then the burden of proof is on you to establish why those actions were necessary.

Completely different from Florida.