English stand your ground case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogslobber, Apr 10, 2018.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

An OAP stabbed a burglar to death but now the family of the burglar are upset that the tribute outside where the OAP exercised his right to protect himself are being torn down. They originally arrested the OAP for murder which is crazy. The burglar's accomplice would be convicted of murder in the USA.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43710526

2. BeeGood, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Yeah, going to have to agree with Cecil. It’s pretty tacky IMO to erect a tribute to a thief in the very neighborhood he was burglarizing.

My condolences to his family, but he got himself killed by victimizing others. Like Cecil says, he deserves no tribute.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Pretty much the entire country is behind the OAP in this case and thankfully aggravated burglary is relatively rare here. I think the travelling community who are threatening the old couple now are in for a shock as nobody likes old people being threatened by society hindering scumbags like this.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So it's not just in the US that ones crimes get ignored in favor of painting the criminal in a positive light.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I don't get the whole leave flowers where someone died thing at all. If you want to support the family of the dead man, put the flowers in their neighborhood. There's an electricity pole by me that always has flowers on it from someone who died at a crash there. Put them on the grave or their home. Do people put flowers outside a hospital for all the people who died there?

6. VulchR, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The UK does not have a 'stand your ground' law. You can only use force only if you perceive an immediate threat to you or other people posed by a burglar, and you must cease using force if you are no longer under threat. So far as I am aware, neither the US or the UK allow capital punishment for burglary, and certainty not without a trial. This was a tragedy in which one man felt he had to stab another in order to survive. It is not a triumph.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2018 ---
    Imagine somebody in your family died doing something stupid. I think many of us would want to put flowers near where the death occurred

(e.g., think of the 9/11 memorials).
    EDIT: Erm...that came out not the way I intended it to. :oops: I do not consider 9/11 victims stupid - I just think have a connection with the places where their loved one die. Apologies for any offence caused. Moving right along....

If the flowers were about saying goodbye, then I think it's OK, but if the flowers were put there as some sort gesture as part of feud, obviously it isn't.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The article state that he was taken into custody on suspicion of murder and was later release with no charges. It make sense for the police to be thorough. Someone dies on your property, cops will want to know why and if any foul play was involved.

As for the tribute stuff, if it's on private property, it's the right of the property owner whether to leave it up or take it down. And the property owner doesn't want it on his fence.
    Take that crap down.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Probably it would have been better to place the flowers on the pavement (that's 'sidewalk' in American), which is not owned privately.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I know many people do and I certainly understand something like the 9/11 memorials. That's where people go to remember and be with other people who lost family. I just don't get the car crash ones or something like this. Why would you want to go there?

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It might be because I’m a little tired right now, but I’m not following this at all.

Are you saying that a memorial for 9/11 victims are the same as memorials for people who act stupidly and get themselves killed?

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The burglar wasn’t painted in a positive light. The charges were quickly dropped once the circumstances were understood and the only people supporting the criminal is the Irish Travelling community, bless em.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I think he was referring to the burglar’s family with the, “he wasn’t a monster” type statements.

You know, he may not have been a monster. But he was certainly a thief who violated people’s sense of security by breaking into their homes. Honestly, if I lived in the neighborhood I’d be pretty insulted by what his family is doing. They have a right (and certainly should) grieve their loss, but if they can’t understand why people in that neighborhood don’t want a daily reminder of what he did, then there is truly something wrong with them.

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

"Positive light"?? The only association the people of that neighborhood have with the burglar is NOT in a "positive light". If this burglar was such an awesome guy put the memorial in the neighborhood where he lived and was a "positive light".

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m not sure if you’re agreeing with me or disagreeing? The memorial should be in the graveyard or the caravan site where he lived, not in the neighbourhood they were targeting for robberies.

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

WTF is a Irish Traveling community? Like gypsies?

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I know this isn't a laughing matter, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the BBC's picture of the OAP--he's doublefisting two pints of Guinness. It's a bit awkward in the context of the story.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah. They always seem to cause problems :(.

20. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

OAP .. Old Age Pensioner .. i.e. Superannuitant.

21. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Kinda off-topic but i appreciate the traffic crash ones. As a motorcyclist it tends to indicate turns I should probably be especially aware of...

22. chown33 macrumors 604

The State of Montana used to put up markers along the highway where fatalities occurred. They were basically small slender crosses at the top of a 3-ft stake, painted white. I saw them for years before someone told me what they were. After that, it was pretty useful while driving a winding mountain 2-lane road to see a cluster of markers at a curve or bridge abutment. They were like subtler versions of The Spirit of Christmas Yet to Come silently pointing a bony finger at an epitaph.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

24. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't know. I never saw another kind of marker, though, and I did look because I asked myself the same question.

Maybe that contributed to the program's suspension, because I haven't seen those markers in many years.

25. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

My guess is it helps find closure. I can see wanting to be close to where a loved one spent their last minutes alive.