Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Just out of curiosity, who among us has gotten a custom engraving on their iPad, and if you have, would you mind sharing?

I've been considering getting a Mini 4, and if I do I will probably have it engraved. At first I was thinking of just having my initials, but that seems boring. Now I'm thinking about a quote attributed to Aristotle: "Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach." (Since I'm a teacher, and I'm really proud of my profession. :))

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
By all means get it engraved but if you plan to upgrade some time in the future then it's going to be a harder sell

I know the iPad is mine and don't need any sort of engraving, each to their own mate :)

Reactions: MacAttraction

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
By all means get it engraved but if you plan to upgrade some time in the future then it's going to be a harder sell

I know the iPad is mine and don't need any sort of engraving, each to their own mate :)

Thanks for the tip, but I don't usually sell my old devices. I'm more likely to simply give it away to a friend or family member, and I doubt they'll complain about an engraving.

But if you want to be all pragmatic, being engraved would make it less valuable to thieves as well. ;)

antwon412

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I ordered my wife a mini 4 as a surprise to replace her shattered screen mini 1. I ordered it engraved but it came without it bring done.

Oh well. Not worth the hassle of returning it and ordering another one.

I ordered it Wednesday and it was here Friday so they must've just rush shipped it and missed it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
That's a shame, but you're right, it's probably not worth the trouble of returning.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
It occurs to me though, that even if I do decide to sell the iPad it could be to a fellow teacher who would likely appreciate my engraving. It's meaningful but not so personal and specific that someone else couldn't enjoy it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Well I guess engravings aren't very popular after all!

I decided to pull the trigger and order the Mini 4 with the engraving I mentioned above. I really don't care if it affects the resale value, but it is a shame that it delays the shipping, though hopefully by no more than a day or two.

I'm excited. This is actually my first iPad although I've been an iPhone owner for years, and have used work iPads frequently.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Thought I'd give this thread a bump given that the release of the iPad Pros means that many people may have purchased new iPads since September. Any interesting engravings?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
On the first line (for other people) it has my URL in case I misplace it (ha I hope not!) and on the second line says: . Now Make It .
"It" being a nebulous series of creative projects which the iPad Pro is going to help me with, and hopefully inspire me to do more. It could also be read as other interpretations of "making it." (Eg success)

Weird little message for myself. Which will likely be covered by a case anyway, haha.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
On the first line (for other people) it has my URL in case I misplace it (ha I hope not!) and on the second line says: . Now Make It .
"It" being a nebulous series of creative projects which the iPad Pro is going to help me with, and hopefully inspire me to do more. It could also be read as other interpretations of "making it." (Eg success)

Weird little message for myself. Which will likely be covered by a case anyway, haha.

Neat. Even if it's covered by a case, you know it's there. It's like a tattoo that's covered by clothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.