Enlarging Photos to grand scale (90" +) with least amount of pixelazation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mhickey, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mhickey macrumors newbie

I am using a Nikon D90 with an image size of 17" @ 300 DPI. I am getting a great deal of pixelaztion when I take to 90". Any suggestions to reduce pixelazation?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

If you're in photoshop when resizing you can resample and choose the right method for upscaling. do you have PS?

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Use an app/plugin like Perfect Resize. You can download a trial.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-resize/

Perfect Resize 7 Pro, formerly Genuine Fractals, increases image size without the loss of sharpness or detail that you might normally expect. The same patented, fractal-based interpolation algorithms that were in Genuine Fractals are at the heart of Perfect Resize 7 Pro with several improvements. New gallery wrap, tiling and batch processing tools, sharpening controls, and built-in document size presets add to the power of Perfect Resize and make it even better for enlarging and preparing all types of images for print. It is ideal to use with photos taken with DSLR cameras as well as snapshots taken with mobile devices.

Perfect Resize 7 Pro can now be used as a standalone application, or directly with Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom or Apple Aperture as plug-ins. Perfect Resize is also available as a Standard Edition. See how it compares to determine which is right for you

4. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

No matter what program you're using you will see the pixels once the image gets that big. Depending on how it's being resized they may be softer, but that's about it. That being said, I'm assuming that it's being resized that large to be viewed from a distance. Best to ask yourself "from what distance will people be viewing this?" and make a judgement call from there. I doubt people will walk up that close to notice. Hope this helps!

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Every image has an optimal viewing distance where it can be best appreciated as a whole. The are some people who are obsessed with detail and will stick their noses in anything, but most of us don't. So if you blow your image up by a factor of something like 5 (to 90 from 17), then people will stand farther back to look at it, which negates some of the lost detail in the enlargement.

If you really need to keep detail in a very large image, you need to start big to begin with. Shooting with a large or medium format camera is best. With scanning, you can't really make it better than the original.

PS: good to hear Genuine Fractals is still around.

Dale

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

Get a higher resolution camera.

7. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

8. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

Yes, an 8x10 should be able to manage that easily. A 4x5 would be okay, but a little soft.