Enlighten new iphone 4 user.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bazinga123, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bazinga123 macrumors newbie

I recently got my dad's iPhone 4 and have some questions about it.
    It is jailbroken running ios 4.0.1. I want to factory reset it, but I don't know how. And if I do, will I have to jailbreak it again?

I searched but nothing made sense for I am new to this.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Basically, you plug the iPhone 4 into a computer with iTunes installed, clicking on the phone's name in the left hand column, and then clicking "Restore."

And yes, you will need to jailbreak it again after a restore.

3. bazinga123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that after they restored a jailbroken iPhone, it got stuck on the boot screen?

4. bazinga123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so what have done so far is downloaded iTunes and iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw.

So do I just upgrade the iPhone using that?
    and use jailbreakme to jailbreak it?

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You only have to Jailbreak it again if there is a reason to. Millions are doing just fine without JB phones.

6. dave420 macrumors 65816

It is possible you won't be able to restore using that firmware. You have to check whether you have saved SHSH blobs for that firmware, which can only be done while Apple still as that firmware available. If you open Cydia it will tell you which firmwares you can restore to. You also have to modify your hosts file on your computer to point to Cydia's servers. The default Apple servers will not allow you to update to an older iOS version.
    If you are unlocked (not using AT&T in the U.S.) then you have to do additional steps when updating to preserve your baseband version.

Otherwise you can restore to iOS 5.01 using the restore command in Cydia. If you restore to the latest firmware the only available jailbreak would be tethered, meaning you would have to connect your phone to a computer when you restart it.
    It might just be a good idea to restore from backup, and not do a full restore. That way you won't have to worry about any of the above issues.

7. bazinga123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I see on cydia that I can upgrade to 4.3.3. The next step is to modify the host files?
    How do I do that?

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

This page describes how to restore to an older firmware.
    This page talks about how to preserve the baseband. You may want to do that to preserve an unlock. That page describes an older version, so you may want to search for a page that specifically talks about 4.3.3.