Enough signatures collected in Maine for a gay marriage vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eanair, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/na...ature_goal_in_maine/srvc=home&position=recent

2. iGary Guest

iGary

A popular vote shouldn't be used to allow discrimination.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What bull****.

Two glimmers of hope. First, if it gets on the ballot maybe it'll be voted down. And second, even if it passes, as long as it's not a constitutional amendment (the article doesn't say), it could get tossed by the courts.

Why do people enjoy being so mean-spirited? Because God tells them to? :rolleyes: :mad:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

F*** this! Hey- let's put blacks' and women's rights up for a vote too. :mad:

5. Queso macrumors G4

Well, I suppose this is when we find out what lessons have been learned from the anti-Prop 8 failure. I'd like to believe the fundies will get their arses kicked, with 70% or more voting for marriage equality, but I very much doubt that outcome.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's wait and see the numbers first. The East Coast is fairly liberal. I can see this being defeated.

I also think it's fairly pathetic that all it takes is a little more than 55,000 signatures to do something like this.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

California is pretty liberal too, I thought for sure Prop H8 would be defeated there too.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

It's going to be close. When it comes down to it, most people still think homosexuals are icky.

I have people I work with that I get along with very well that would probably vote against gay marriage. And they know just about everything about my outside life and that I've been with my partner for 10 years.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I live in a bubble. There isn't anyone I know in this city who would vote against equal marriage rights, let alone in my office. This town is really with it when it comes to us.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Maine's homophobes are at a serious disadvantage.

Unlike California, Maine's state constitution has no provision to place constitutional amendments on the ballot by voter petition. These signatures must therefore be for ordinary law. The only body that could propose a constitutional amendment would be the legislature that legalized same-sex marriage to begin with.

If this law passes, it will be challenged in court, and Maine's courts are probably likely to be informed by the Marriage Cases just as Iowa's were.

My guess: nothing but a speed bump.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Well so is D.C., but I don't live there any longer. :)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks for the info. That's very encouraging.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Regardless of the outcome, I can see it being rendered completely moot within a few years by something on the federal level.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We can only hope.

15. Eanair thread starter macrumors 6502

Eanair

My thoughts exactly.