Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenplasticcup

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2001
Wow guys. I have to say I side with those who like the product.

For those hoping for a PDA and enraged that you didn't get it, it seems like you are in the minority. Some of the people on this board are saying that it's simply obvious that Apple should come out with a $200 pda instead of throwing another PDA into the market.

Hmm.... the PDA market is as equally full of options as the MP3 market.

There's very little money to be made from PDA's. It's a hard industry to get in to. The markup on them is pennies.

But everyone's an expert aren't they, you have done the market research, you know exactly where Apple missed the mark.

Did you ever consider that you might not be in apple's target market? I don't think I am. I don't have enough cash. I still buy apple's products though. I just can't get exactly what I want.

The iPod is adequately priced. The 1.8" drives they put in them are very expensive. There's a new pocket drive (5GB) coming out soon called the Firefly. Suggested retail price: $399. Max capacity at this point for the 1.8" ones: 5GB.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
target market

apple did really well when they made their target market 18-25 year olds with the parent's money to spend on items like the iMac and iBook

this product looks like a gift a parent could buy for their kid and that is good for apple's future finacially

the adult market or working person/professional is so dominated with pcs that this person would have to use pcs at work most likely and buy another computer (a mac) for home and learn how to use that...it seems impractical for most adults who are too busy

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
lol, parents who would buy it for their kids???
My arse.
I dont know any1 who has parents rich enough to buy that for their kids. Tuition fees are more than enough to fork out money on never mind a gadget like this, even if it is that good.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Actually, after looking at it i do agree with you.
For parents with a bit of cash it is a good alternative to buying a laptop for their children. However i dont know any parent who could buy it.
Certainly not mine, im in debt as it is and no-one is bailing me out.

[Edited by spikey on 10-24-2001 at 09:46 AM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
you are right spikey

i sometimes make the assumption that everybody lives in silicon valley and i see so much money, even now, it makes me sick

i am just a microserf tech so i am not one of the rich either and i have debt from grad school i will never live to see paid off and i also have debt from my ibook (but that one is ok, if you know what i mean)

i have seen kids with magnun p.i. ferraris in san jose and some comment that the valley has become as shallow as, i hate to say it, that other rich area in the glitzy southland of california

all i see here is parents buying everything, including macs, for their kids

the last time i was a fry's in campbell, near san jose, i saw two parents buy their kids special edition ibooks not knowing a thing about them, they just bought them like a pair of stuffed animals

it didn't make me sick though...i know apple must sell to a lot of parents (ibooks and imacs) in silicon valley as gifts for the kids

...funny thing is, if you ever saw this armpit people call santa clara county, you would never know anything ever came from it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.