Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
My work/outlook requires a pin number to unlock my iPhone. I absolutely hate it and have absolutely no say in it. Will the 5s satisfy that requirement with just the finger print or will I need to enter a pin number after I use the finger print scanner?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My work/outlook requires a pin number to unlock my iPhone. I absolutely hate it and have absolutely no say in it. Will the 5s satisfy that requirement with just the finger print or will I need to enter a pin number after I use the finger print scanner?

To use the fingerprint scanner, you must set up a pin. However, it will only require you to scan your fingerprint. The pin is there as a "use it if you feel like it" deal, although it does require you enter your pin if you reboot your phone, and occassionally randomly as extra security.

But for 95% of your unlocking needs, you can just scan your fingerprint.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yep. Since TouchID requires a passcode/PIN to be set, the Activesync policy is satisfied.

In general usage the TouchID is fantastic for when your corporate policy requires a passcode/PIN. It makes it very convenient to live with the policy. One thing to note; if you're used to using the sleep/wake button to wake the phone then swipe to unlock and enter your PIN, change over to using the Home button to wake the phone then leave your finger on the Home button for TouchID. Much smoother that way.

My only complaint is that TouchID forces an immediate lock on sleep instead of having a delay available. e.g. you hit the sleep/wake button to sleep the phone before putting it in your shirt pocket as you open a door, it locks immediately instead of letting you just wake the phone in a couple minutes without unlocking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.