Entourage .rge error message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lucystewart, Apr 30, 2008.

1. lucystewart macrumors newbie

This is driving our office mad!

Within the last week, all of our computers have developed a 'bouncing E'! The entourage symbol jumps up and down and demands attention, there is a box saying 'Entourage could not read this .rge file', it never stops, it just comes back every half hour or so.

I suspect it has something to do with sharing projects, but we have done nothing differently from normal so can't trace the reason. It's possibly linked to when one person sent an invite to all the others asking them to attend and event but I'm not sure. It was also suggested it might be because there is a lot (ie up to 10 years in one case!) of email in the in box, but we have been doing some clearing out with no result.

I don't know much about macs and am in the dark here, and everyone is blaming me as it was my idea to create a shared diary/contacts list in entourage. :(

Some other forum said to find the corrupted file, but I've no idea where to look or even how to tell that it's corrupt.

Please please help.

Thank you,
    Lucy

2. gmankono macrumors newbie

.rge error possible fix

Resurrecting this thread to put two cents in on this, since I'm haggling with something similar with Office 2004...

Years ago, a shared project folder was created for the very purpose of sharing contacts and events with others. The solution never caught on, and the shared folder associated with the project stopped being used, to the point that the person who had originally shared it stopped mounting the server volume. Without the shared folder available, the .rge file, that is the shared "archive" of contacts, the error starts popping up every time Entourage looks for updates to that shared contacts list. In this case, deleting the old project associated with the missing archive is resolving the issue, since it will stop Entourage from searching for the file, ending the constant 30 minute cycle of error messages.

In the original poster's case, if the shared archive was available, the error should not have been popping up, pointing to some kind of issue with mounting the volume where the shared contacts were stored, but in general, the only way I can find Entourage using .rge files is if you have archived mail and are trying to read an old archive, or are accessing a shared project directory.

Here's hoping we don't see the same kinds of issues with Office 2008 or 2010, once Outlook replaces Entourage.