Entry level hybrid bike. What should I budget, what brands?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imahawki, Apr 17, 2012.

1. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Hi all. I want to get a bike for casual riding (with my family) and exercise. I don't think I want a mountain bike because I don't think I'll actually be riding on "ungroomed trails". And I definitely don't want a street bike. So I guess I want a hybrid.

I have a discount store steel frame cruiser right now. It was the wrong choice on many, many levels and it has almost zero mileage on it. Its heavy, isn't tuned well, has high rolling resistance due to weight and crap components, etc. and I'm not sure what I was smoking when I thought I'd like the curved handlebars.

So what brands do you guys like and how much is this going to cost?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go to a bicycling shop and tell them your budget and your needs.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

consultant is right, go to a shop that you trust, tell them your needs and wants. They'll get you set up. On a side note though a hybrid bike the worth for exercise. Great for tooling around getting from A to B since its very comfortable but not great for fitness. If you want to bike for fitness I'd suggest picking a side, road or mountain, and going at it that way. You'll get more out of it and have a more impactful ride.

Yes I know that some biking is better than no walking but I would equate using a hybrid for fitness to using a prius for street racing. It's a fine bike but won't do what you're trying to do very well.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I have a Trek 7.5fx for general road use and it's fantastic. The hills are no problem with this bike.

5. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Definitely go to a shop, they can help you with gearing for your area too.

You may find a flat handled road bike with thicker tires suits your needs. I have put slicks on my mountain bike for road use and it does great. I can also ride my cross bike on slicks on a dirt/gravel rail trail (but that has more of a road bike geometry so it's probably not what you're looking for).

When I worked at a shop we often took one of the beach cruisers to grab lunch and were surprised at how nice it rode. Wouldn't want to do a 30 miles ride on it but for tooling around town it would be sweet.

Really depends on what you are looking to get out of it.

Budget? $500 - $1000

Stay away from Walmart, Target, Sears IMHO