Environmental Protection

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fireshot91, Jan 29, 2012.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Why do you guys think it's important to protect the environment? As in, what is your motive?

Note: I'm not saying I don't think it's important, I'm asking why YOU think it's important.

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Without a protected environment, we have no means to grow and produce food. Without food, the fundamental source of human energy, we will be unable to exist as a species.

I'm not one for taking a pill in substitute for a diet of food.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I am no tree hugger but I do realize that everything is "connected". Since we are tied to this planet, the more we destroy it, the more we destroy our own future.

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Soylent Green solves this problem, and gets rid of old farts like me at the same time.

I hope I am at least tasty. I'm sure not as ugly as Edward G. :eek:

6. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I always imagined Canadians would be rather gamey.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I sure hope so. Tell your friends.

It might forestall my trip to Sanctuary. ;)

8. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Perhaps not, but his motivation was friction.

KGB:cool:

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Respect and admiration for the world around us.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

One visit to Mania, Philippines, (in 1999) showed me why I care about environmental issues. The pollution was so horrible there, you could literally not see down three city blocks because of exhaust/smog. Most people in town had to wear some sort of covering over their mouth and nose to reduce the pollutants they were breathing in. Every day when we drove through the city to get to work, I would feel sick for a few hours afterwards.

Who would want to live in a world like that? In a world where the air was barely breathable; the water was so polluted that you couldn't drink it, swim in it, support wildlife in it, or do anything else; and the ground was covered in trash and other chemical waste? That is most certainly not a sustainable way to live.

Unfortunately, plenty of people think there is no issue with that as long as someone is "creating more wealth".

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Unfortunately the Philippines isn't the only place like this. In a slightly different thread we've been discussing a similar issue... but the focus has been more on the continuing need for fossil fuels, potentially at the cost of slower development of alternatives (or at least that is how I see it). Burning crap for fuel seems like a crazy solution... almost archaic. But as long as fossil fuels remain cheaper at the point of sale than water, it is challenging to develop an alternative.

12. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I like my air to be safe to inhale and my water to have a safe amount of chemicals in it.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Keanu Reeves, and his scary metal bugs, scare the crap out of me.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

When you have built a whole country under sea level, you do have to worry about the environment. ;)

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Mexico City 1997. The air was a yellow green pus color. On the flip side of that, the Swiss Alps are so amazingly clean that you just want to stay there. I truly doubt that the OP is going to find anyone who thinks environmental degradation is a good thing.

16. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Clean, safe and abundant food, air and water are high priorities for me. Without it, being the worlds leading producer of product X is irrelevant.

Oxygen stations in Mexico City, the Cuyahoga River Fire, black, soot-coated snow in Cleveland, the collapse of life in Lake Erie and general things from growing up in the industrial mid-west south of Detroit at the time of the auto boom have helped cement the environment as a priority.

Dale

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

But you will find many people that cannot or will not recognize those parts of human behavior that are environmentally unsustainable. Particularly when money is involved.

Everyone agrees that we need to take care of the world around us, but few agree on what that actually entails and how it will be accomplished. Consensus (or near-consensus) is only achieved during crisis.

Are you a Clevelander? I was born and raised on the east side.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I dunno. Actions speak louder than words and it does seem that a lot of people don't give two ******. Maybe it's not that they don't care about the environment but that they care about other things more. Sure, it's short-sighted but that's never stopped humanity as a whole from doing self-damaging things in the past.

Out of sight, out of mind is a huge problem, IMO. If people weren't allowed to ship their hazardous waste out to some far away desert or if prevailing winds didn't blow factory smoke from China to LA or from the US up into Canada I think people wouldn't be a lot more mindful of how they live and produce products.

Lethal

19. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

This. There are so many little things that everyone can contribute to environmental protection. But most people get "offended" as soon as they have to change anything in their lives.

20. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What, you want me to separate my garbage?

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its a closed system of finite capacity whose limits we are approaching at incredible speed. BANG!

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No. We want you to eat it, and please, don't poop.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Only pinkos poop.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Most interesting observation so far.

I'll go first: I can't name one significant thing I have changed in my behavior in the past twelve months to contribute to environmental protection. I can name things more than a year out, and I can name volunteer work (but who can't), but I can't name one significant thing I have changed in my behavior in the past twelve months to contribute to environmental protection.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, it's true. Republicans just blow-up when they are 35.

Except for Newt. He's still full of it.