EpiPen Cost: Drug Company Greed or Obamacare Side Affect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An EpiPen is used to treat possible terminal reactions to food allergies or bee stings.

As show in this article, the cost of it has gone up tremulously since 2009. Is it greed on the part of the drug companies or mostly due to the very high deductibles people are now seeing under Obamacare ?

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

As the article says, the active ingredient, epinephrine, has been available for over 100 years.

But because this is the United States, you can put epinephrine in a plastic tube with a needle on the end, call it a new brand name drug, and then qualify for patent protection. Because the US does not cap prescription drug prices unlike other countries, you can charge whatever you like for this crucial and life-saving medication that patients have no choice but to buy.

It is both an example of greed on the part of drug companies and a problem with how Obamacare allows some plans to be structured. If your prescription drug costs are not covered prior to hitting the deductible, which is often the case in the absolute cheapest plans, you'll be paying the full price of this drug.

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think it's drug companies being greedy. My son needs them and at one point I remember they were $80ea. Now they are $200ea through our HSA and insurance plan. We have a modestly low deductible and we put the full / max amount into our HSA Ea. year so we're good but it's still drug co's gouging the public. Costs for them haven't gone up enough to warrant such a jump in just a few years.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's outrageous! I have an EpiPen for severe nut allergy but am covered by the NHS in the UK.

I do remember my doctor once had a moan at me about how expensive they are (he was complaining because I hadn't used it before it expired!) so I've just had a look and the cost in the UK on a private prescription (where you pay the full cost of the medicine) is £50 according to here: https://onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/allergy/epipen so I don't understand how they cost so much in the USA??

5. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I don't see how this has anything to do with the ACA. It's just drug companies being greedy like normal and gouging the people for all they can.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The EpiPen has been around since 1977, so I think that Patent has long since expired.

The problem isn't patent protection. Its that it's incredibly expensive and time-consuming to get FDA approval for a new delivery system or a new manufacturing facility. And strangely enough, it's because the patent on epinephrine has expired that drug companies are unwilling to make the investment.

The EpiPen has had some marketing success (Thanks Sarah Jessica Parker!) and as a result is the "preferred" option for people in danger of allergic shock reactions. There is an alternative emergency injector, but it works somewhat differently, and it doesn't have the brand cache of the EpiPen.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the same thing with that drug that reveres overdoses the price has skyrocketed.

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Looks to me like EpiPen's patents expire in 2025

http://www.law360.com/articles/181459/king-pharma-sues-sandoz-over-generic-epipen
    http://www.ems1.com/medical-clinical/articles/1240942-Epinephrine-Drug-Whys/

But I'm not an expert on prescription drugs, and that was just from a quick Google search. The point is that these patents, as well as the FDA's approval system, shouldn't be used to force consumers into paying unlimited amounts of money for drugs they depend on.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

except thanks to O-care insurance and pharma CO's can raise prices as they see fit and the people are stuck buying insurance anyways with high out of pocket cost.

10. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Pharma co's could do that already in the first place.

And no, people are not "stuck" with buying insurance with high out of pocket costs. That is their choice. There is nothing in the ACA that states someone must buy a certain type of insurance, just that they must have insurance that has a certain level of protection as a minimum.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yeah, the fine you get by the IRS leaves them plenty of "choice" :rolleyes:

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

How were costs before Obamacare?

What was the reason Obamacare was put in?

Did Obamacare make things so much more expensive because Republicans and health insurance companies hate the guts of "the black democrat president", or any of the other excuses Democrats always seem to come up with that manages to make it a racial issue instead of an ideological one?

Did you know that Obamacare looks very similar to Romneycare?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...eycare-and-obamacare-can-you-tell-difference/

And that Romney admitted it after 5 years of faking it?

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ly-admits-that-obamacare-came-from-romneycare

If nothing else, a chart on this site shows things were already poor, but Obamacare - apparently claimed to reduce prices - didn't:

[​IMG]

http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/obamas-economic-recovery-in-just-9-charts/

But as you can clearly see, there is no dramatic spike because Obama passed Big Pharma's wet dream. Just a continued upward slope.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2016 ---
    Wouldn't it be easy if we had the choice of also not growing old to begin with?

One hell of a choice, medications to save life or ****ing die. Next time, you think about that when putting out the usual garbage talk of "choice". Learn empathy, grow a pair, become pro-life, or try not to experience what millions have had the misfortune to do and since when does someone sit there and say "I'll choose to get ill in the first place"?? Really, the attitude you choose to have is an interesting one...

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
  14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. massive tax on the poor.
    2. greed and a the green light to let them do as they wish.
    3 hence the reason Romney lost.
    4 why would they when the INS CO's had no reason to lower them cost at all.
    5 because he is in the pocket of big pharma.

15. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Excuse me, WTF?

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I also wonder how much of the price rise is caused by increased liability insurance for these devices.

Both the Narcan shots and Epipen have been handed to people not originally intended to have the product due to effectiveness.

Parents yelling and screaming for more people to access just in case.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

The rise in prices began before Obamacare.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apparently the company that bought the rights is behind so much extra access.

They started spending a lot on lobbying, and the FDA began to recommend two pens per prescription, that it be prescribed to more people, and the feds also decided that schools had to keep some in stock.

The company also spent years raising the price 10-15% or more each quarter. Wow.

This is clearly a company that bought the rights just to jack up the price and lobby for more sales, while raising its CEO's yearly salary from $2 million to $18 million. No one should have sympathy for them.

19. 1458279 Suspended

I don't have a source, but I heard that a patent (maybe on the actual drug) was not in effect and the FDA denied repeated clone replacements. There was no reason given for why the FDA hasn't allowed the clones. I wonder if the patent is on the delivery tool.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Don't care. Obama still owns this :p

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I hear he was also responsible for the 10 plagues in Egypt and El Nino

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

What poster do you now sound like?

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Obamacare is to health care as student loans are to college tuition. Next question.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Not really. At least with the college loan you supposedly received an education. Being fined for not having insurance still leaves you w/o insurance and broke