Episcopal Church Nominates 2 Openly Gay Priests as Bishops

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Aug 2, 2009.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Link

Take from this what you want.

To me, it reaffirms my belief that gay marriage should be legal. One of the major arguments against gay marriage is that marriage is a religious institution and should be treated as such, thus excluding the possibility of gay marriage. This argument overlooks two important things: 1) there are religions that accept gays as equals 2) that the United States has no state sponsored religion and thus can't legislate as such. This article proves both points.

Anyways, just found this interesting and thought I would share.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This is the reason why many Episcopalians have broken away in the past few years.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Seems as if 50% of the episcopal church considers this to be misrepresenting their ideals. I wonder if they would have been better off closeted. That's not to say that gay people should stay closeted their entire life, but flaunting it, especially when wanting to do something religious, starts controversies like this.

4. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

And to me this just reaffirms my belief that the Episcopal Church has severely fallen away from the faith. The Bible is very clear on homosexuality, and to simply embrace it with no discouragement is heretical. That would be like the BK Killer being open that he is a mass murderer and then Preaching on Sunday.

And no Im not comparing homosexuals to the BK Killer...its simply an analogy. You dont want someone with very sinful lives leading a church as they are not walking with God.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe the faith has fallen away from the mainstream and the Episcopal Church is trying to bring their religion into the 21st century.

6. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

The modernization of a religion. So basically we adjust what was established so everyone feels included. Righty-ho. :(

7. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

[sarcasm] Oh how I would love to be a choir boy at one of THOSE churches! [/ sarcasm]

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is humorous in the slightest.

Except not really. There's many things in the bible that it claims be heretical that the religionites are more than happy to turn a blind eye to. The bible is indefensible.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Exactly. And only until recently did people decide to morph the meaning of the bible and teach in our very schools that the bible is okay with homosexuality. When I was growing up it was not like that. Times have changed, for the worse I think. The bible may not have been P.C. but that doesn't make it wrong in the long run. I find it extremely entertaining how the bible clearly states homosexuality is wrong, but people decide not to read that but rather segments where words are very lofty and can be interpreted in several ways. Not everything has to be politically correct these days. It sickens me sometimes.

P.S. I'm not disgusted by homosexuals and I'm not uncomfortable around them either. I just don't appreciate them transforming the message of the Holy Book and demanding that everyone accept what they think.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes acceptance is such a cause for a frown :rolleyes:

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The bible also says that those who kill blind people shall be rewarded, non-christians should be killed, and a woman who is not a virgin on her wedding night shall be stoned to death, among other things.

So do you also agree that it is not wrong to do any of those things either?

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

the bible also says not to kill not to sin in many forms but that never stopped Christians from killing, owning slaves and other such nice things.
    if religion does not change we will be condemned to the horrors that it has brought. should we go back to burning witches stoning people we don't agree with beating our woman?
    face it if god made people he made them sexually complex and he made them capable of homosexuality. he made some people wired that way with no choice about it. so the bible says it's wrong so what. not everything in the bible is real or good advice.
    then again it is silly to focus so much on someone's sexuality. what the hell does it matter of a priest is gay? hell thats been going on since there were priests. everyone freaks just because it is now open.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Black people are allowed into churches now as well. Sucks huh?

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I never understood how black people would take to a religion that allowed them to be slaves.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Beats the hell out of me, I'm still trying to figure out gay republicans.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Jesus loves me but he lets me be owned beaten and treated like cattle. People can get around most anything to justify their beliefs.
    Hey remember gay republicans don't make more republicans.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its kind of like a spouse that will stay with an abusive significant other in the name of "love"

18. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Or until they start adopting children and forcing their views upon them.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Children don't always take on the political views of their parents. My father and grandfather, for example, are on complete opposite ends of the political spectrum.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My dad is a GOP supporter and my mum is clueless about politics. I'm liberal. Go figure.

21. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I wrote FORCE.

A threatening household is a persuasive one!

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

who honestly beleives something because its forced upon them growing up?

That was actually a major reason why Im an athiest after being a confirmed catholic.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Believe me, my grandfather attempted to force his right wing views and racism and hatred for anyone who wasn't a white Jew on his children and I don't know about my uncle, but my dad definitely didn't buy into that crap.

24. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

When I was growing up, my friend was removed from his house by the police (I don't know where child services were then) because he didn't want to go to church every Sunday. His father made a mess of him.

I bet if he stayed another week or two in that house he'd be the best church goer out there. Or dead.