Equal Time for 'Traditional Values'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 26, 2011.

1. leekohler, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...really? Are there really no church or religious groups on campus? It really is a race to the bottom to see who can be the nastiest people, isn't it? This dirtbag even admits that he really doesn't want "Traditional values centers", he just wants to close any gay centers. Hey fundies- keep your religious crap in church, where it belongs!

http://www.insidehighered.com/layou...ity_centers_to_promote_traditional_values_too

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I would agree with this. It's not a universities place to promote values on this regard, whether Christian or homosexual or agnostic or theistic abstinence or anything. There is a difference between supporting and promoting.

Unfortunately, he shoots himself in the foot in the next paragraph indicating it's a get even jab at "the left" which loses any support I might have given this measure based on what I just said.

edit - to clarify, I do not think that a university should be in a position where it is funding groups promoting values period. There is a large difference in my mind between a "gay center" (as you call it Lee, not sure if there is a better name) being a support or resource for homosexual people and it participating in promotion.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No one is promoting anything. It a resource available for those who need it. I was extremely grateful for the one on my campus back in the 80's. Those folks saved my life.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This kind of legislation is based on the bizarre notion that gay people are sexual perverts are looking for recruits. Also, if the proponets of this bill really wanted "equality", then they would be increasing the funding for GLBT support programs, not the other way around.

It is shocking how ignorant and backward many of our lawmakers are.

5. codymac macrumors 6502

Hmmm... at my university, a public university in Texas, "support" was making conference rooms available and the like. There was no promotion and no funding of anything involved - just use of empty conference facilities in the student center, same as every other student organization.

I was familiar with the politics and organization of the LGBT student group since a close friend of mine was the president of it.

I think, in practice, passage of this bill will mean little.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Traditional values? Like bigotry, demonizing, beatings, lynchings? Some traditions have little value.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

40 years ago, these "traditional values" politicians would be wearing white sheets and burning crosses. We've made some real progress since then, but this is just a reminder that we still have a long way to go.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

There's nothing more foolhardy to expect young people to NOT have sex. LOL @ Chastity.

Few things are more powerful (or natural) than that urge. Especially on college campuses.

What a bunch of idiots.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Does this mean we can force those bastions of "traditional values" to pony up any pay due property taxes on their multi-million-dollar facilities?

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe this falls under the umbrella of separation of church and estate. :p

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Is it really that shocking?

That's the real way to fix the deficit, make churches pay property taxes.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So sexual bigots are an oppressed moral minority in need of equal time, huh? Lemme see...where have I heard that kind of argument before?

Oh yeah.

[​IMG]