Equifax's Data Breach - are you affected?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Sep 8, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Here's all the info (and you can go to equifax.com and get the link below to check it's authenticity. Might be a good idea to check to see if you were compromised.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/consumer-notice/

Equifax is focused on consumer protection and has established a dedicated website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com to help consumers. We have provided a tool on this site for you to determine if your information was potentially impacted by this incident. To find out if you are potentially impacted, please go to www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, and click on “Potential Impact,” and enter your last name and last 6 digits of your Social Security number.

2. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Is this anybody and everybody or just customers who used equifax services ?

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

According to what I've read, the Potential Impact link does not tell you anything but it offers you free 1 year subscription to their credit monitoring service...something that's available for free to everyone.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2017 ---
    I'm going to venture a guess anyone who has a credit report is at risk. Most major companies report monthly to all three.

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

But doesn't everyone have a credit report? It is it just those that have had their credit pulled or checked during the vulnerability?

Sorry but I'm a little confused.

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I'll let someone else reply because I've only read a couple articles. I'm not at my office so I haven't read any corporate emails yet.

Yes most people have a CB report. For example, if you have a mortgage your mortgage company is reporting monthly to all three bureaus. So it may not be limited to just having personally used Equifax.

So it really depends on the breadth and containment of the breach.

7. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The only article I read about it this morning stated "equifax customers" but wasn't sure how far the breach stretched.

I'm sure more to come.

8. Zenithal, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 604

I'd need multiple hands to count the number of times security was breached and personal information that could affect credit was stolen just in the last 15 years. Can't say I'm worried or care much. Hell, I can count three incidents of local and state government messing up and reporting material stolen two years after the initial incident.

Off the top of my head:

2x when I worked in government
    1x medical insurer
    2x hospital
    1x city government
    4x state government
    This incident
    5x bank or other financial institution
    2x Ebay/PayPal breach

That's just a few I can recall at the moment. In all incidences, nearly my entire private info was exposed. There's about 20 or so other incidences.

Edit: Oh, yeah. When I renewed my passport in 2009, I got a letter a few months later telling me my information had been stolen/exposed due to missing equipment. Was offered the 1 year of free or reduced cost monitoring.

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Thanks. I'm not sure either. Equifax stores cb data on non-customers so maybe it is limited to true Equifax customers. Thx again.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Keep in mind it's one year of free monitoring from the same company that was breached ;)

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

Or as I like to call it, the blind leading the blind.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Equifax should offer free credit monitoring for everyone effected. Target did it when it's accounts were compromised. How do you check to see if you have been compromised?

Update: there is a link on the link you posted for (top of page) for complimentary credit monitoring.

13. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The op offered a link up at the top

14. mollyc macrumors 68000

The directions and links are in the post you quoted. :)

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I actually saw it, before I read your replies. :p ...but I appreciate the heads up. I went to the site, entered my info and was advised to return and continue enrollment on 12 Sept. I guess they are swamped. I'm slightly concerned that the enrollment site, shows a red warning from my netgear web page risk analyzer. I went to the equifax site independently from the link provided and equifax shows green, but the enrollment page still shows red. Hopefully that is a glitch and not a fake data stealing site. :(

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So they knew in July, 3 executives cashed out stock just days after. And they now just announced the breach.

17. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

I haven't enrolled (it says I could be impacted). People are Tweeting this though.

"If you enroll in Equifax's TrustedID bc your data was leaked, you waive your rights to sue Equifax in court or be part of any class action."

[​IMG]

18. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Very interesting. Thanks for complicating my decision. ;) I might have to check in with my lawyer.

19. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Yeah, they can pound sand.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

That means doo doo. You can still sue.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I saw that last night and figured ok I already froze my credit from the last time some bunch of idiots left a gate open somewhere. I'd rather watch a dog playing in the autumn leaves than rush to find out yes my data has been stolen again.

As far as that stupid Equifax clause about arbitration: No governmental agency under Trump is going to do anything about that, since this government's lawyers have already been told to switch sides and stand on the side of corporations insisting on consumers or employees signing arbitation agreements as the price of making a transaction or getting a job. Maybe the stock market will teach Equifax a lesson. Depends on whose data got stolen for the first time, maybe... gotta love the power of an analyst to pitch a short.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Ugh the "fine print". I'm probably not affected but that means nothing this day and age. If this breach doesn't get me another one most likely will.

23. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Forced arbitration for individuals. Regardless, it will be tough to enforce.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It depends on what a judge honors.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Everyone who has ever had a credit check ran on them has it run through the big three: Equifax, Transunion, and Experian. For example, everyone who used the AUP for purchasing iPhones had their credit check ran through Equifax. So AUP users may be impacted.

By extension, while the breach may have limits, it would also contain metadata, such as your spending habits; not down to the business or merchant, but down to who helps you to spend the money. Such as the AUP mentioned above, airlines, in store credit cards (ex: Sears, Macy's, Home Depot), etc. Those stores that extend lines of credit to you are also key, as they tell those who have that data with whom and where you shop.

BL.