Equivalent 4 mac that is as powerful & versatile a tool as “bulk rename utility” Win

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rotarypower101, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Is there anything equivalent for mac that is as powerful and versatile a tool as “bulk rename utility” for windows?

Very little this app was not able to do in the renaming department!
    Wish i could find a comparable mac equivelent!
    http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Screenshots.php

I have always used parallels for very few necessary things, and this is one of the last vestiges that I would love to find a ~equally capable tool for.

Wine does work but is very unstable.
    I have gone away from using parallels and boot camp, save one app at this point, anyone have a suggestion ?

Specifically I need the ability to cut and paste a list of file names and apply it to the files in order, replacing the old file names with the new list .

And of course the versatility and options of numbering and replacement tools would be great!

I have tried as many of the popular mac renaming tools, but they just do not seem to cut it.
    [​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger. However, I'm not aware of any app that works from a list, as you described.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

4. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Thank you very much for taking the time to post guys!

I am not sure, but do either of those let a user have a list of file names, and apply them to the existing file names as a single group?

I dont think I have found anything mac specific that will allow this, but I would love to if someone knows of anything?

And just to expound on what I am talking about, I can have a folder with any number of files with cluttered names ,misspellings, hashes periods between each word, and simply drag a clean list of text sourced from the interwebz, and apply this new list right over the top of the existing file names.

And I am not talking about a simple sequence, it can be any text string in any order, just to be clear.

It takes a little manipulation with the text, but it is almost as simple as that.
    I make a text file “old file name”|”new file name”, and open the file within the windows app, and it applies the changes, allowing me to also number the files and any other myriad of useful changes, to get the file naming conventions just right.

No one knows of anything that works in this manner specific to the mac?
    I assume others could use a app like this?

I have been shirking my duties of keeping everything clean and tidy, and really need to find a solution some time in the near future.

Thank you for any help finding a mac native application that can do something like this.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Name Mangler has some advanced functions that allow you to create scripts, but I haven't explored that, so I can't say for sure if it can do what you want.

6. rotarypower101 thread starter macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Thank you again, I looked around, but I did not see how that could be accomplished.

Is there a link to the instance that you are talking about?
    I looked again, as i had before, but I didn't see anything that inferred the ability to do this.

http://manytricks.com/namemangler/

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the Advanced batch renaming as described in the lower left corner of the page you linked. Again, I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it can accomplish what you want or not.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have had good experiences with Namechanger since I have started using it