Erased my Windows partition, now can't add the empty space to my OSX hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JCT1212, Jul 9, 2016.

1. JCT1212 macrumors regular

I am trying to repartition my hard drive back into an OS X only hard drive. I used disk utility to erase my bootcamp partition, but now I can't seem to find a way to add that empty space back to my OS X partition, to restore it as the only hard drive.

I now found out that this isn't the proper way to repartition, and that I should've used the bootcamp assistant. The bootcamp assistant now says I have no partition when I try to follow the correct process.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks so much in advance.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

1. Backup Mac partition to another drive. I suggest using CarbonCopyCloner which will create a BOOTABLE backup and it will back up the recovery partition, as well.
    2. BOOT FROM the bootable backup you created.
    3. Re-initialize the internal drive into a single partition
    4. RESTORE by re-cloning the backup BACK TO the internal drive. Since you used CCC, it will even re-clone the recovery partition

This way is GUARANTEED to get you back to "where you want to be"...

3. JCT1212 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thank you so much! Is it possible to use a time machine backup, or is that not bootable?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Maybe. What OS version did you make the TM backup with and also what year model is your Mac?

5. JCT1212 thread starter macrumors regular

I backed up the latest El Capitan version. The laptop is Macbook Pro 13" early 2015 I think.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah.... good deal then. You can use Internet recovery to restore from Time Machine.

Reboot and hold command-option-r at startup. You will asked to select your wifi and enter the wifi password. Then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads over the Internet. Once that is done you will be in the recovery screen. Then use Disk Utility to erase your internal drive back to one Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Then quit Disk Utility and click restore and point to the Time Machine disk as the source.

7. JCT1212 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thank you for the detailed responses!! I'm about to do that now! Can't thank you enough, I was really worried haha