Erasing contents from old iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkim3691, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I know this is an age old question, but I think my situation has some specifics that I need to iron out.

So I decided I want to sell my iPhone 4s now that I have the 5. I had it JB and everything and just plugged it into iTunes and restored (didn't ask me to restore as new) and it updated to iOS6 and seems to be a blank phone now with it going to activation screen once you power it on. I did the trick where you can get to the home screen and it seems stock. I can see that I have no contacts on the phone now, but I can't go into any other apps. I've heard nightmares about people who used iMessage on their old phones and somehow getting messages from the buyer using the phone, etc. I never used my e-mail for my iMessage, just phone number.

Is everything set to go to sell my phone? I don't have a micro-sim laying around that I can just activate the phone with to see if everything is gone, so I don't know. Thanks for the help guys.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I just sold my old iPhone 4S and did a factory restore in iTunes to wipe everything off of it. I called in to Apple before I sold it and told them about all the issues people have had regarding people they've sold their iPhone to receiving their iMessages and the advisor I spoke with told me that doing a restore is a the best way to rid data from the device. I sold the phone about a week ago and haven't gotten any notice that my email address was registered with it again so it looks like a restore did the trick.