Erasing you HD through the terminal

Irishgent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Hey. If Im booted from an external HD and I want to erase my HD into four partitions from the Terminal - how do I do it.

Can you issue commands for the terminal to use disk utility?

Any help would be great.

vincentmeanie

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2002
spark up terminal, then change drives till you are at the root of the drive you want to erase, and use "rm -r" no quotes

then go buy a book on unix and learn how it worked. I think oreiely has a good one for OS X users

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by vincentmeanie
spark up terminal, then change drives till you are at the root of the drive you want to erase, and use "rm -r" no quotes

then go buy a book on unix and learn how it worked. I think oreiely has a good one for OS X users
Okay, before you goof and lose ALL your data, reverse the above instructions:

Buy a book, read on the web, read "man rm", etc.

Then issue the command.

You can do a lot of damage if you blindly issue commands written by others, without understanding what they do.

You've been warned...

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
The command you want to use to change partitions on your hard disk is fdisk. I haven't played with this with OS X so I can't give you step by step instructions. If the disk is mounted, you must unmount it before running fdisk.

Generally with fdisk you would start the program with the command and the device you want to partition. Something like:

fdisk /dev/rdisk0

You can then print the existing partitions to the screen using: p

You kill any partitions you do not want with: e n where n is the partition number. The partition numbers are displayed when you use p

Create your new partitions using: n. You will have to read the directions for creating partitions with fdisk in OS X since different revs of the fdisk command behave differently.

When finished, save the partition table (usually using: w), quit fdisk (usually using: q) and reboot. The partitions should auto mount.

Hope this helps.