Erdogan wants to "liquidate" the Kurd resistance

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
http://news.yahoo.com/fight-kurdish-militants-continue-until-last-one-liquidated-120208329--business.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

Yes, that's exactly the word he used (as directly translated from Turkish). Liquidate. Erdogan just won a solid re-election mandate, strengthening his grip in Turkey, and one of his first speeches he gives he makes it clear he wants to liquidate (his exact word) the Kurdish resistance.

Ummm….. don't need to be a political analyst to realize that it hints very strongly of a strategic plan for GENOCIDE. Ask those Armenians, they know about being the target of genocide.

Disgusting that Obama and McCain and others in DC do not oppose Erdogan's vision of the Middle East. Which is: support of ISIS and Islamists, support of Saudi-backed Islamist rebels, the gutting of Assad's Syria, and of course the extermination of pesky minorities like the Kurds.

I'm not Kurd, not a single Middle Eastern blood in me. Don't even remember having any such friends. But this is just absolutely wrong. The USA is giving the green light to NATO-allied Turkey to go ahead and commit genocide?

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
http://news.yahoo.com/fight-kurdish-militants-continue-until-last-one-liquidated-120208329--business.html?bcmt=comments-postbox

Yes, that's exactly the word he used (as directly translated from Turkish). Liquidate. Erdogan just won a solid re-election mandate, strengthening his grip in Turkey, and one of his first speeches he gives he makes it clear he wants to liquidate (his exact word) the Kurdish resistance.
Does it make any difference that he wants to liquidate Kurdish resistance? This would seem to be the point one could quibble over, that he's not saying he wants to liquidate the Kurds, but the resistance that some of them are engaging in. While it may be a bit of a fine point, I could see where one is an unthinkable atrocity, and the other a poorly worded goal.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Does it make any difference that he wants to liquidate Kurdish resistance? This would seem to be the point one could quibble over, that he's not saying he wants to liquidate the Kurds, but the resistance that some of them are engaging in. While it may be a bit of a fine point, I could see where one is an unthinkable atrocity, and the other a poorly worded goal.
Using the word "liquidate" does sort of rule out any prospect for dialogue.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the current situation. What form is this Kurdish resistance talking? If it were people gathering in the streets and waving protest signs then any discussion of "liquidation" is far beyond the pale. However, if the resistance is in the form of an organized fighting force involved in armed insurrection against the government, then liquidation, is a bit more understandable. He wouldn't necessarily be saying, "I want to liquidate the Kurdish people." He could be saying, "I want to end a rebellion which threatens peace and stability in our nation."

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the current situation. What form is this Kurdish resistance talking? If it were people gathering in the streets and waving protest signs then any discussion of "liquidation" is far beyond the pale. However, if the resistance is in the form of an organized fighting force involved in armed insurrection against the government, then liquidation, is a bit more understandable. He wouldn't necessarily be saying, "I want to liquidate the Kurdish people." He could be saying, "I want to end a rebellion which threatens peace and stability in our nation."
Both peaceful political activity and armed resistance from various groups.......the Turks have repressed the Kurds over the decades and the Kurds object (hey, it's the middle east....so what are you expecting?)

Of the armed groups it's the PKK that's gotten the most attention over roughly the last 30 to 40 years. There'd been a ceasefire in effect for the last couple of years but that's fallen apart.

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
Correct. It means the use of violent force to exterminate the "resistance". Which could very well mean civilian collateral targets. If Erdogan really wanted to "liquidate" exactly as he words it, then he would use means to exterminate all resistance fighters as well as annihilate their villages, their hamlets, their women, children, and might as well bomb and mustard-gas their sympathizers and allies as well. And if the "resistance" means urban Turks who are sympathetic to the Kurds, then liquidation means using brutal police tactics and tear gas and jailing all those "liberal bleeding heart Turks" until all protesters are "liquidated" (cleared out) from the streets of Istanbul and Ankara.

Turkey's membership in NATO is questionable as they have pivoted from secular democracy to authoritarian state.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Definition Liquidate
liq·ui·date
ˈlikwəˌdāt/
verb
1. wind up the affairs of (a company or firm) by ascertaining liabilities and apportioning assets.
synonyms: close down, wind up, put into liquidation, dissolve, disband
"the company was liquidated"

2. eliminate, typically by violent means; kill.
I think we might have some reason to be concerned about his verbiage, assuming his language was accurately translated and is interpreted in the appropriate context. Honestly, I know nothing about Mr. Erdogan, but he now has my attention.

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
Related, perhaps.

http://chronicle.com/article/An-Economist-Turns-Sleuth/233802

Apparently Erdogen used reports of a coup, called Sledgehammer to further crack down on civil liberties and further cement his grip on power. Yet there is reason to doubt that Sledgehammer even existed
It was an obscure officer and software engineer that finally led them to the smoking gun. On March 29, 2012, Abdurrahman Basbug stood to defend himself in the Sledgehammer trial. Basbug’s technical talk generated little notice then, Rodrik writes in his Sledgehammer essay. But the officer’s research revealed something crucial: The putsch documents had been created using Microsoft Office 2007, software that did not exist at the time the coup was said to have been planned. Rodrik and Dogan passed Basbug’s analysis to a Boston-area forensic consultant they had hired to examine the digital evidence. He confirmed that the documents could not have been produced in 2002-3. Jenkins, who has studied the Sledgehammer documents, says Rodrik and Dogan "proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the case was fabricated."

But it didn’t matter. The judges couldn’t have cared less.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Definition Liquidate

I think we might have some reason to be concerned about his verbiage, assuming his language was accurately translated and is interpreted in the appropriate context. Honestly, I know nothing about Mr. Erdogan, but he now has my attention.
This is an excellent point, and normally I would give someone the benefit of the doubt. But everything I've read about this guy makes me lean toward #2.

I mean, he's literally doing air strikes on US-backed Kurds--Kurds that are fighting ISIS--the same ISIS that just bombed Turkish marketplaces for months now. That's how much he hates Kurds.

Last edited: