Eric Trump accidentally admits his dad’s separation from family business is a total sham

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 25, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danale...dent-give-him-financial-reports/#735c9021359a

There is kind of a clear separation of church and state that we maintain, and I am deadly serious about that exercise,” he says, echoing previous statements from his father. “I do not talk about the government with him, and he does not talk about the business with us. That’s kind of a steadfast pact we made, and it’s something that we honor.”

But less than two minutes later, he concedes that he will continue to update his father on the business while he is in the presidency. “Yeah, on the bottom line, profitability reports and stuff like that, but you know, that’s about it.” How often will those reports be, every quarter? “Depending, yeah, depending.” Could be more, could be less? “Yeah, probably quarterly.” One thing is clear: “My father and I are very close,” Eric Trump says. “I talk to him a lot. We’re pretty inseparable.”

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Threads around here are staring to turn into tabloids.

"I will update my father on the business"

Turns into: "Separation from father TOTAL SHAM".

Ridiculous.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Try focusing on the content not the headline. Do you think it's appropriate for Donald to be involved in this matter?

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

It was well known that he had these businesses before he ran for president.

The only thing that might be an issue, is if he were to focus on making laws that were specifically designed to only benefit his businesses.

But, he hasn't passed any laws that require all tourists to stay at Trump Towers.

He hasn't required all television networks to broadcast the Apprentice show.

He hasn't required anyone to hire any of his businesses.

And, it would have been unreasonable to require that he sold his businesses to become president, unless the tax payers are willing to pay him a higher salary to compensate for his lost income.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    Yes.

If you had businesses, and became president, would you want to give up the businesses you had spent your life building?

The job of President is temporary. He should be allowed to retain his interest in the business he will be returning to.

I have no objection unless he starts making policies that are designed to build his businesses while killing the competition.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Makes sense.

Separation of church and state is a joke in the US anyway. The church can see what laws have been passed!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But ... but ... Donald Trump Jr., said, "I basically have zero contact with him [trump] at this point."

Either dad is doing all of the talking with Eric, or Donald Jr., is lying.

Considering the sources, lying is the most logical conclusion.

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The normalizing and dismissive attitude is troubling

8. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Welcome to Murika .

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Signed a bunch of EOs like a Moron.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

He should have passed them to a blind trust, meaning people would be paid to run them without his direct input during his term as president.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What if he pushes through tax code changes that saves him money in taxes?

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Apparently you think there's a way to pass a law that doesn't benefit any person who participated in designing the law in even the slightest way.

Even those who passed laws that criminalized murder benefitted the law they passed.

Now, if he passes a law that only benefits him, then there might be something to talk about.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2017 ---
    I find it more concerning that people have devoted their lives to bashing and finding things to complain about.

It's far more productive to find ways to work together, than it is to focus only on ripping someone apart.

14. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Congress needs to do that for him.

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Tell that to Trump.

Also, you're mistaken if you think Trump only has to pass something that only benefits him.

Every American should not only be concerned but also diligent. Trump hasn't done a single thing yet to earn my trust. Quite the contrary.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That would be quite the feat. First both houses of congress would need to pass a law that for some reason only benefitted trump. That would be something to talk about.

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I'd like to see you make a decision that would please everyone if you had so many people focusing their attention on ripping you apart just because their person didn't win the election.

18. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Then there is nothing to worry about.....

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Everyone? He can't even please more than 40 percent.

Also, and let me be clear... He's not being ripped apart now just because Hillary didn't win. If you think that, you're sadly mistaken.

20. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Only that's not the test for impropriety

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Haa you beat me!

23. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

Let the man get all the rope he needs if you wish him to be impeached....!

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wow. Now you are trying to justify it in some way. It seems like personal benefit is of no concern to you at all. Only if it blatantly hurts a competitor. But there are plenty of ways to hurt America as a whole that just seem to pass you buy. If a man is pushing for lower taxes to enrich himself further, but is in a position to spend more of other people's money, that's not a good combination.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Part of the job. If that kind of thing throws you, then you aren't fit to serve the office.