Eric Trump: Nepotism is 'a beautiful thing' (yes he really said that)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Well, I give him points for honesty. He's dead honest in that nepotism is actually the Trump family's preferred style of governance. Trump dynasty gonna make the Clintons and Bushes look like amateurs! :p

(UK Telegraph) Eric Trump: Nepotism is a 'beautiful thing' as he says US President's children are more likely to speak truth to power

(MSNBC) Eric Trump: Nepotism is 'a beautiful thing'

"You trust the people who are closest to you. Who is he going to trust most to run a company? He is going to trust somebody who he trusts implicitly," he said in an interview with The Telegraph published on Monday.

Eric Trump said his father "knows I deeply care about the properties, our amazing teams. And he knows I'm going to do everything I can humanly possible to take care of that."

"Is that nepotism? Absolutely. Is that also a beautiful thing? Absolutely," he continued. "Family business is a beautiful thing. The same applies for Ivanka. Ivanka is by his side in Washington."

2. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

"Trust me. I'm from the Government Business"

3. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Your quote doesn't say what you think it says.

But don't let that get in the way of a good PRSI thread.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What do you think this means: ""Is that nepotism? Absolutely. Is that also a beautiful thing? Absolutely," he continued.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

By all means, just post your assertion without any elaboration.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Eh...he's talking mainly about business.

And, as weird as it is, Ivanka is the de facto First Lady since Melania wants no part of this circus.

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Melania was never made to be first lady. She's perfectly comfortable just being in the shadows as I don't think she likes the attention much.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So why did she marry him. Trump has been seeking attention for over 30 years.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Clearly the Trumps don't know the history of medieval royal families...

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well she was a model so she is not adverse to it.

11. SLC Flyfishing, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I think he's acknowledging that passing the reigns of the business down through the family is technically nepotism. But he's also saying that it's a beautiful thing that his father trusts family to take care of the business.

lets use the same sentence structure with a different subject to see if it helps you understand what E. Trump said:

"I had a root canal last month; was it painful? Absolutely! Do I also feel better now? Absolutely!

Separate ideas they are.

12. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I think we all know why she married him. :rolleyes:

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Has Trump (and the GOP) not explicitly been saying for years that the country should be run as a business?

14. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

15. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Dancing around the response. You should go on tour.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not going to do the basic math for you, but it's pretty easy to understand how that worldview clearly bleeds into his governance position.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

1) He's too stupid to realize that as the son of the president, perhaps he shouldn't be boasting about and praising nepotism in any and all contexts. Then again, nobody is surprised that Trump's children are idiots as the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

2) He's also apparently doesn't do much to fix his stupidity, like read relevant research in the field he is in, because business journals like HBR have been researching nepotism in business for decades and nearly every study concludes that family businesses that are passed on from one generation to the next almost always do worse than businesses which are sold to the highest bidder or when leadership is transferred to the most qualified person available. Basically, there are something like 7 billion people on the planet, and the statistical odds that the best one to run the business going forward happens to be your offspring is almost zero. But hey, why bother with education and smarts when your daddy handed everything you could ever want on a silver spoon?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Dancing around what? SLC was never even talking to me before I responded to him. You do understand how conversations work right?

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

His hair products?

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yes, he starts out talking about family business (and his points are fine, in that regard) but he then slips into a tone-deaf attempt to equate the running of a cozy family business (answerable to nobody outside its inner circle) with the enormity of leading a government answerable to all its citizens, many of whom won't agree with you:

It most certainly does NOT apply to Ivanka. Donald can trust his daughter all he wants, but the only important question for the country is can we trust them?

21. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

They involve making a response related to the quote... You were just dancing around his response just to get something quippy out.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The fact that you honestly can't understand how what I wrote is entirely on topic and gets at the heart of the matter says a lot about you....

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

What exactly does it say about me?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ponder on it a bit, get back to me.

25. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Any response you make will try to lead the conversation in the direction of deep state, corporatism, hegemony, and jingoism. Hence the tinfoil hat dance.

Again, you should go on tour.

Or you can just do the round about insult dance. That is your other specialty.