Erm I found a ding on a referb...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentLoner, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I didn't notice it till tonight it's like dints on the corner of the glass but I didn't notice till today (it was exchanged on Tuesday from a faulty iPhone 4s) I don't know if I can make it back to the apple store. What are my options?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

Take it back or keep it. Simple

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

If you aren't gonna take it back to get it replaced then your only option is to keep it.

4. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What I mean is if I phone the apple number on the work order email they sent me. Can they help?

[​IMG]

----------

Also I don't want to take time off work to go and them to deny me because it's cosmetic or something and didn't raise it at the time as I bought a case and put it on straight away. :(:(

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You can call them and ask if they'll send you a replacement but i doubt it. So if I were you I would try to make a reservation for the weekend

6. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

7. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Aside from the fact I traded in a flawless one for a dinged one no.

I've made a appointment for my lunch break and I'll call the number before I get to work just to help out. It looks like a drop mark has anyone else had experience of this?

8. Coldsnow macrumors regular

There shouldn't be anything like that on a refurbished product from Apple, on the other hand, I think the odds are against you because it is refurbished. Looks like the owner dropped it and the screen got cracked and replaced, not the white framing. Apple is usually generous, they will figure something.

9. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Yeah I will wait and see. I was just so glad to have a working phone I rushed out without checking it over so annoyed with myself :(

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

If they replaced your phone with a refurbished, there's no promise that the refurb is going to be flawless. I've had an iPod that I had to replace, and they gave me an iPod with a crooked screen. When I brought it in the next day, the Genius said that sometimes it happens and that refurbs sometimes have cosmetic defects.

11. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

That is true however you do expect to not downgrade build quality. If that happens I will probably rebook or escalate. Crooked screen and damage on the bezel is not acceptable. Refurb or not.

12. /user/me macrumors 6502

You're right. The tech ultimately replaced it when he saw that it was crooked. The problem that you're going to run into is that if you go into the Apple store - depending on the genius that takes your case - might deny it, because you didn't' mention it as soon as you got the phone, so there's no way to tell if the phone was like that when you left, or if it was something that you did.

13. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

That's true and the fact it's not been restored and neither of us checked it. Fingers crossed.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I don't see you having an issue at all with swapping it out.

Remember to update your thread with the outcome !

15. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

"Shocking revelations next on News at 11. A consumer finds a dent on a used product. Find out more about this horrible tragedy tonight after the game."

Were you really expecting a used iPhone to be perfect? Refurbished or not, its still used.

16. matttye macrumors 601

Personally I would just keep it. It's not going to affect the functionality of the phone and if you concentrate on the screen (I.e. the most important part) you won't even notice it.

It's not worth the time and effort of exchanging it.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, Apple puts new outer shells and batteries on all of their iPod/iPad/iPhone refurbs.

Not to say that new outer shell couldn't get dinged before you got it, but it shouldn't be the outer shell from the previous owner.

18. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Well here's hoping they take a measured response.

19. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Just reporting back and the lincoln park apple store is awesome. Just swapped it no questions asked. Sat there for a while while iCloud was doing its think reading on the kindle app on my iPad. Was a nice day to be fair.

20. /user/me macrumors 6502

That's super awesome!!! Also right down the street from where I got robbed :p

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Hey, you lucked out. Something like that is small, but it gnaws at you every time you see it.

22. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Christ where did you get robbed? I am so happy :) my apple synergy is restored lol

23. /user/me macrumors 6502

On the corner of N Cleveland and W Wisconsin.

24. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

That's cool :)

25. /user/me macrumors 6502

Really scary at the same time, but yeah. That was my chicago story :p :p